QSI to Soundtraxx swap

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, I am swapping out a QSI decoder from an Atlas gold loco and putting in a Tsunami decoder. I have the old decoder out and I am curious which wire is the positive on the motor leads. There is a brown and orange wire. The brown one makes contact on top and the orange goes down the side and I assume it connects to a brass strip. I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks for any input!

Also, does the leads for the trucks always go on the same side of the decoder (ex. the left side lead goes on the left side of the decoder)??
 
Hmm...40 views n nobody knows? I figured somebody would have a lil insight to this...
 
Call Tony's Train Exchange and ask one of their techs. They are very knowledgeable. They'll tell you what is what.
 


That's ironic. Tony's is owned by QSI.

Orange is positive. Gray is negative. QSI also uses 8-ohm speakers so you don't even need to replace the speaker.
 
The QSI speakers are 8 ohm and the two are wired inseries for a 16 ohm load. I replaced the two speakers with a pair of identical ones from Tony's that were 4 ohm. Wired in series for an 8 ohm load and got much better response.


Mark.
 
Ohhh...OK good to know. Can I just wire them independantly direct to the board or will that give me the same effect as having them wired in series?
 
Wiring both both independantly directly to the board (the 8 ohm factory speakers) would be the same as wiring them in parallel which would create a 4 ohm load on the decoder, and not advisable as it puts undue stress on the audio amp output.

Tsunami decoders will work with either an 8 ohm load (optimum) or 16 ohm load.

When dealing with multiple speakers, you ADD the ohm rating of the two speakers when in series - two 8 ohm speakers in series = 16 ohm load. When wiring two speakers in parallel, the load is halved - two 8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohm load.

Hense my reasoning to go with two 4 ohm speakers in series to obtain an optimum load of 8 ohms.


Mark.
 
Ohhh gotchya...so for now its best to leave em how they are wired up in series. Is there much of a noticeable difference to replace em with 4 ohm speakers from Tony's?
 
I'd suggest wiring them up to the Tsunami and seeing (hearing) what you think. If you like what you hear, leave them be. If you feel you really need a little more "punch", try the 4 ohm version.

Sound is a very individual thing. Some folks like them proto-typically set for the scale in that they are set to sound good when you are beside them, while others want people on the other side of an auditorium to hear their engine ! If you are one of the former, the two factory speakers wired in series will probably be more than adequate.


Mark.
 


Nobody really answered the second part of your question. The red wires both go on one side of the decoder, both black ones go on the other. This is left and right, not on each end. You put a red and black on each end. Check you voltage outputs so you don't cook the LEDs. Depending on the Tsunami, you may or may not need resistors.
 
Not sure what Tsunami decoder you are using - probably a 750 or 1000 as the Atlas style board is longer than the QSI board. IF that is the case, the red and black wires from the decoder connect to the trucks. Red wire is commonly attached to the right hand rail when facing forward and the black is attached to the left hand rail.

Atlas engines typically have all black wires coming from the trucks, so be careful not to cross them.

IF by chance you are shoe-horning in an Atlas style board - the board indicates right on it how to orient it for which end is forward. Attach the truck wires from each side of the truck to the same side on each end of the board.


Mark.
 
I am just using the standard tsunami board not intended for use in anything specific. I didnt know that they made one for these atlas units. Now that I have my QSI board cut out, are those worth anything to sell? Maybe get 40 or 50 bucks for it??

As for the lighting, the led's are already installed in the shell with fiber optics and resistors :)
 
it should be worth that. what is it coming out of?

You would think so, but that hasn't been my experience. I had about half a dozen of them left over from engines that were swapped out for other decoders. Couldn't sell a single one at $25 each !


Mark.
 
I ended up trading them to other guys for stuff that I could use.

"One man's junk is another man's treasure !"


Mark.
 
They are out of Atlas 8-40C's. I have 2 of them. All the plugs will be included but the one for the speakers I cut the wires off right at the plug so I wouldnt have to add any wire to fit the new board. I didnt realize that the boards for the C is different from the CW models. I am using the C chassis/drive with a CW body on it and from what I was told, the C board doesnt have a provision for ditch lights...
 
Maybe I should post these over on the for sale section n if no luck there I will put em on fleaBay with a buy it now...
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top