QSI Titan-U trouble with Lenz LH-100

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Charles Smiley

cspmovies
I put a QSI Titan-U sound decoder in a diesel loco and I can't change the long address with my Lenz LH-100.

It keeps showing Error-02. Everything works with the default Address 03 and I can even read back that value as 03.

Has anyone had this issue? I had no trouble doing this with other older type QSI sound decoders before.
 
are you programming on the main or using a program track? If a program track, try doing it on the main. Sometimes there isn't enough current genrated from the program track when using sound loco's
 
Does your Lenz automatically put the correct value in CV29? Without that value, your decoder won't recognize its new address of values over 127. The two values I use are 34 for DCC-only sensitivity and 38 if you want your decoder to retain dual voltage type sensitivity for either DCC or DC ops.
 


Not sure if CV29 is auto-handled. I only suspect it is. Lenz manuals are sparse in information - at least the English versions. I can still read German at about a 3rd grade level from high school classes -- long ago.

All this was tried on the Program Track. It has always had enough power to program all the other sound equipped locos.

I tired poking values in CV29 and just get Error-02. Even Reset gives error-02. But now the thing won't even respond to address 03 even though I can read -3 in CV-1. I have plugged in other new ones, of the same part number, and get the same results - frustrating!

This nonsense didn't happen with an older QSI decoders used by Atlas. Digitraxx and Lenz decoders work fine too. Even least favorite (my opinion) MRC can be programmed (although the FO-F7 keys don't work).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
More

Putting anything into CV29 causes the Error-02 message and every thing to stop functioning. Address 03 then has no control. Won't even run on DC.

Manual Reset on power-up clears it back to "normal". I tried lots of sensible combinations into CV29 (with my LH-100 keypad) from the bit-chart but it's all bad.
 
I would then switch to Ops Mode, or Programming on the Main. Set your addess to its extended address using Paged Mode, exit, shut off track power. This is a step many forget. Restore track power, same address on the throttle as was just used, switch back in to programming, but scroll through to Ops/Main, and alter CV29 that way. Try the value 34 first, exit, dial in the correct new address, and acquire that new address on your throttle. Now try the bell using F1. If it doesn't work, you have a problem, but it might be the Lenz or the decoder, not sure.
 
Every CV I try to write to bring Error-02. I can read the contents of a few but not write into them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Did the decoder come preloaded with sounds, or did you cut and paste your own?
If you have the programmer, you can also use the cv manager from QSI Solutions.
What diesel did you install the Titan in?
 


OK that was it. Stupid me... Even with the B-EMF turned off, it needs the motor - or a resistive load - to allow encoding. This was to be a sound-only dummy unit with a huge speaker where the motor used to be. and I should have mentioned that in the beginning.

I was previously told by a hobby shop that a 1000 ohm would work and went as low a 470 ohm but it has to be 100 ohm or lower :eek: That makes a bit of heat at full sustained throttle. I had to use a 3-watt resisitor and heat sink it to the metal chassis wall so it won't cause problems.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top