I have a 4x8 layout that I've been building off and on (3 months on, 3 years off
) for about 15 years. Track plan is fairly simple: double track oval with 18" radius curves on the inside loop, 2 single crossovers and several sidings. Benchwork is open grid with 2 inches of rigid foam insulation on top. Power is dual cab control.
All my turnouts are Atlas snap switches (did I say I started 15 years ago?).
After returning to the layout after my most recent extended absence, I noticed a problem with at least 3 of the switches. The inside rail along the points has come loose and flexed inward, preventing the end of the inside point from contacting the rail, and pushing the track out of gauge. Here's a picture (I hope!):
Hopefully you can see how the rail has flexed away from the "spikes". I'm thinking the cause of the problem was not making enough allowances for expansion of the rails.
So, any suggestions on how to repair these switches in place? I want to avoid removing them if at all possible. I also plan to cut a few expansion joints to try to prevent this from happening again.
Thanks in advance for your help. I'm hoping to get my Pioneer Zephyr back on the tracks during the holidays.
Don
All my turnouts are Atlas snap switches (did I say I started 15 years ago?).
After returning to the layout after my most recent extended absence, I noticed a problem with at least 3 of the switches. The inside rail along the points has come loose and flexed inward, preventing the end of the inside point from contacting the rail, and pushing the track out of gauge. Here's a picture (I hope!):
Hopefully you can see how the rail has flexed away from the "spikes". I'm thinking the cause of the problem was not making enough allowances for expansion of the rails.
So, any suggestions on how to repair these switches in place? I want to avoid removing them if at all possible. I also plan to cut a few expansion joints to try to prevent this from happening again.
Thanks in advance for your help. I'm hoping to get my Pioneer Zephyr back on the tracks during the holidays.
Don
