Probably a dumb question but....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


BDP

New Member
I am getting back into model RR after a 20 year absence and wondering if anyone uses a "dummy engine" behind the lead engine? When I had my small 6x9 layout I used 1 motorized engine and then dummy engines after that. Back then it was DC.

So if not using dummy engines could someone explain to me how having 2 engines hooked together facing the opposite way works? I know DCC has opened the door on alot of things but needing more info on this. I am going to go DCC but would probably only run 2 trains at a time with probably 2 engines on each train. Just wondering how this all works.

Thanks
 
Consisting two locos back to back in DC is easy just put the locomotive that tends to pull in the lead position. I think it is easier on the motor to be pulled then pushed personally. The polarity of the locos are reversed by default when you turn the loco around in DC.

As for Consisting in DCC you can over come the pushing and pulling irregularities between locos by setting up the speed settings with individual variables so that they can run in unison. It all has to do with programming the speed steps for an individual locomotive decoder. I am sure someone here with respond with even more detail. Someone correct me if I am wrong but depending on which DCC system you choose, will dictated how you should consist the locomotives. The setups for consisting are explained in great detail in most manufactures manuals.

You may want to download some of the manuals for the different DCC systems and have a look in the consisting sections.
 
Thanks for the reply. Trying to learn as much as possible. Things have changed in 20 years.

So if I purchase DCC ready engines they will not run on the layout until I install the decoders in them correct?
 


You still have to buy decoders for DCC ready engines but the loco is already wired to accept the decoder and in most cases just plugs right in.

As for your other question, DCC is able to do this because a consist of locomotives acts as one locomotive. Since DCC uses addresses, it makes both locomotives respond to the same address. Manufacturers explain how to consist locos in the manual.
To learn more about DCC visit http://wiringfordcc.com/ which covers about everything for DCC
 
If you buy DCC ready engines they will work on DC but not DCC until you install a decoder

That is what I thought. Thanks for all the reply's. Sorry for a stupid question but just trying to figure some of this out. Some family members already want to purchase me a few things and want to make sure I get the right things and information.
 
Not stupid at all. It took me a while before I finally figured out how to consist two locomotives end to end with my Digitrax Zephyr. It actually is explained in the manual, but who reads those things. :) All "DCC Ready" locomotives will run on DC. Not all "DCC equipped" engines will run on DC, and your DCC system determines if a DC only engine will be able to be run from a DCC controller. Not all do, so make sure you research this before making a purchase.
 
I have visited a few online stores and see that there are a few engines that have the DCC decoder in them already at a decent price, but dont think I can talk the wife just yet into forking over $170 for 1 engine with a factory installed decoder with sound.

I am going to have to learn how to put those things in it looks like. I seen a few Bachmann engines that I would like but seeing bad reviews on them so I am going to stay away from them.
 
I have visited a few online stores and see that there are a few engines that have the DCC decoder in them already at a decent price, but dont think I can talk the wife just yet into forking over $170 for 1 engine with a factory installed decoder with sound.

I am going to have to learn how to put those things in it looks like. I seen a few Bachmann engines that I would like but seeing bad reviews on them so I am going to stay away from them.

I bought one small GP 38 a year ago and it ran pretty well, it was a great locomotive to learn the DCC on but if i could do it again i would have bought a better engine.
 


I have several dummy engines i use.
When you have sound engines with different systems you can't always use them together or with non sound powered engines. The QSI sound changes the power to the tracks when you activate the sounds on DC. This does not change the direction of the sound unit but will change the direction of the powered non-sound unit if you are running them together. If you blow the horn the first unit will still be traveling forward but the second unit (non-sound) will change direction and now want to go into reverse. Not good. Has no effect on a dummy.
Some road names and paint are hard to get in powered engines and dummy engines are cheaper.

Bob
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top