Preferred DCC Systems

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Which DCC Systems do you prefer for use in the club and at home? Why?

  • MRC

    Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Digitrax

    Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Lenz

    Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NCE

    Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Other

    Votes: 8 7.3%

  • Total voters
    110
Although cryptic, notation continues to sneak-in trying to suggest that Digitrax is a difficult system to learn.

SNIP

I do wish that someone would be more specific on "difficult". This opinion has been used in hundreds of threads, but never with any concrete evidence and I would like to be enlightened enough to have a better understanding of the comparisons being used. I am not suggesting that one system is better than another, but saying that many "favorites" are simply based more on design of cab or familiarity of a particular system used in an area or club, and not where it should be: capabilities to meet your today and future needs.:)

Well, first let's remember that these are opinions, and I think that many giving them are single system users who are happy with what they bought.

Few have noted that they use or have learned more than one system. Some may have tried Digitrax with early systems when things were really complicated, and their opinions are based on outdated facts. I learned DCC down in your neck of the woods where Digitrax was the only choice unless you wanted to mail order something or shop online, and with DCC, people like to touch things. I had an early Empire Builder system. Then I moved up here and joined a club that was using Wangrow's System One (since upgraded to NCE) I didn't like it at first, but that was mostly beause of the difference in the operator interface. One thing I did like right away was the ease of programming from NCE's handset. They were far ahead of Digitrax at the time when it came to this (they were also twice as costly back then :eek:). The introduction of the DT-400 series of cabs pretty much leveled the playing field there, and NCE's cost came down to within a few bucks of Digitrax, so both are fairly even these days.

The capabilities of both for home layout use are comparable. The only reason I can think of why people might think Digitrax is harder to learn is that you must learn somewhere how to do these simple tasks from the cab, and that somewhere for many is usually the manual. The NCE manual is much easier to read than the Digitrax manual, and, the NCE cab will prompt you through the process of programming or consisting, or whatever with a series of YES/NO questions. The system essentially gives you step by step instructions. Having taught new members to use both systems, I have found it is easier to teach newbs NCE than Digitrax. That's just my experience. YMMV :D

There are also CJ's often stated points of what you're exposed to and learn on, what your buddies use, and your dealer support network. All three are important in forming a good first impression and maintaining satisfaction.

Not promoting either system over the other. Just my observations.
 
I have used Digitrax on a couple of layouts. In fact it was the first I used. I stayed confused with it. But I have recently used it with a very simple controller with knobs to dial up the loco number. It was super simple but occasionally I had to find someone with a main controller. I decided on MRC because it appeared to be very user friendly, and it is. I suspect it is similar to NCE. I am very pleased with MRC and would highly recommend it to anyone who asked
 


Well said, Allan, particularly noting that many are passing judgment based on limited or no experience with other systems. I have only used NCE on a friend's layout and found it to be a good, dependable system, and easy to grasp the first time. However, I see no advantages of his system to my Digitrax.

i bought my system when I returned to the hobby and when I didn't know anyone else in the world (not even CJ :D) was modeling trains and didn't know forums existed. i gathered facts and figures that would match my future needs from vendors like Tony's and various magazines. Either system would have fit the bill and I chose Digitrax.

I have no argument with which system is best, as I feel that both will do the job for most anyone. I do believe that a person requesting info on the various system should get substantiated facts about each system and not rhetoric based on hear-say and inaccuracies. This only further confuses a persons selection process....but again, this is a forum.

Jeeze! I swore that I would never comment on this subject:D:D.
 
Jeeze! I swore that I would never comment on this subject:D:D.

Gotcha Rex!!! ROFL!! :D:D:D

But one thing is true and I think we all can agree. NOBODY makes a truly "bad" DCC system. Just like buying a car, some go for economy, some for the ride, some for raw power, but we all go down the street. If you are happy behind the wheel than it was a good fit for you. If you are not, than you need to trade up. All I ever suggested was a simple "road test" before plunking down the Benjamins.;)

Simple huh? :confused:
 
I bought my Digitrax Chief in 1997 on the recommendation of my LHS. I converted to radio about a year later, love the system, and have had no issues with it. I use the UT4-R throttles almost exclusively now, and mostly only use the DT throttles to start the system. One big advantage the UT4 throttles have for me, is their compact size, and the neutral position on the forward-reverse switch. This feature allows for more convenient operation while performing switching movements. Eventually, I plan to dedicate a UT4-R to each locomotive.

I used to find programming decoders a real pain using the throttle, but thanks to Decoder Pro, that pain is gone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
personally I use a Roco system (europe only), club uses the same but a newer version then I have.

I prefer the version the club uses, it has quite a lot more features and also allows for 4-digit numbers, this would allow me to use the locomotive numbers as the address, the system I have only allows for 2-digit numbers.

I am thinking of replace the Roco system I have though, to use a computer for operating the turnouts, but I do want to use RocRail, Roco only allows for PC control though their own RocoMotion, which only functions on Windows XP and newer and the netbook I have which I can use for it can't run XP, RocRail also works on Linux with is a lot lighter and will run on it.

second added benefit of RocRail over RocoMotion for me is that RocRail also has iRoc, a control program for the iPhone, as I have an iPhone this would allow me to control the layout, or even turnouts, with the iPhone.
 
New to Dcc

I am just getting into DCC and have been looking around at units. My LHS recommended a Digatrax Zephyr plus which I ordered through him.

Reading all the comments in this thread, and securing an equipment manual though the Digatrax wed site, have convinced me that I made a wise decision. Information in this threat steered me to theDigatrax web site because of comments made about the company and its systems.

I don't know about the other DCC makers but the Digatrax manual and it listing of parts and acessories were most helpfu. I recommend that other newbies to DCC -- I've been a model railroader off and on since 1955 -- that they contact the companies and seek information about the units being considered for purchase.

Finding the Zephyr Plus manual on the Digatrax website was a complete surprise.

Now I wish I understood all I know about the system I'm purchasing.

Gardner
 


Finding the Zephyr Plus manual on the Digitrax website was a complete surprise.

Good for Digitrax! I see no reason why they don't all put their manuals online! Got something to hide? [Many would argue that Digitrax should indeed hide their manuals, but that's a different debate ;)]

Now I wish I understood all I know about the system I'm purchasing.

"Don't worry 'bout it!"

Seriously, you're not going to get it all straight away, and neither should you try IMHO.

Do you have a fleet of locos already? DCC equipped?

Good luck, seems there are plenty of folk here willing to help with any Q's.
Cheers,
Ian
 
...But one thing is true and I think we all can agree. NOBODY makes a truly "bad" DCC system... J

This has always been my statement in such discussions. I know of no poor DCC systems. Decoders are another matter, but the market offerings in DCC controlling systems all seem to work well at what they were intended to do for the user. They are reliable.

In my case, my LHS sold me a Digitrax SEB which I still use. Nothing fancy, but I still think the DT400 series throttles are the cat's backside. I found getting to know the system to be no more onerous than reading a VCR manual or one for a PVR. My Canon Powershot's manual, now that's another story. Took some getting used to.
 
Actually, I can't think of any DCC manufacturer who does not put their manuals online.

Thank goodness they do! Ever had a loco go a little nuts at 2 in the morning? Rather than trying to find the instructions packet for a decoder you installed 6 weeks ago, just a couple of keystrokes and "poof" , you got it!:D
 
bachmann manual is only the UK website, why? i have no idea

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/service/dcc3.php

It's on the US site, it's just not easy to find. From the home page, you have to click on "Parts & Service", if you click on "Product Information," which to me would be the logical choice, and navigate to E-Z Command, there is no link to the manual. From Parts & Service go to Digital Command Control, then E-Z Command, then Digital Command Control System. On that page there is a link labeled "complete E-Z Command® manual in PDF format."
 
I use a Prodigy Express unit, mostly because it was on sale. I haven't used it much but I like it so far, except that the control unit does seem to heat up a bit. I haven't used any other systems so I have nothing to compare it to.
 
I have a small HO layout and my power packs are an old MRC Tech II 1500 and an Atlas. I'm getting that itch to get DCC and so this thread has been very helpful. Still, I haven't reached launch level yet, still pondering. Thank you all for sharing your opinions and experience.

It would be fun to get some input on the sound aspect. If I were to go DCC, I think sound would be half the motivation.
 


Russell,

I switched to DCC a little over 2 years ago and have never regretted it. The hobby is so much more interesting.

Sound is primarily one of the reasons I did it, but also functionality of the layout is easier and more enjoyable. I have two young boys and I can tell you that having sound definitely has made them more interested in MRRing. I know that friends who see my layout are much more impressed by it bc of the sound and the ability to run as many trains as your fingers can command.

While most of my locomotives are sound equipped, I have a few that are not. And sometimes its nice to hear just the 'click-clack' of the rails and the whoosh of the train running.

Overall, Id say that the benefits are many: sound, increased interest and functionality, and your controlling your trains vs controlling the track (vs DC).

Enjoy,

Brad
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top