Preferred adhesive or cement

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


drolmaeye

Finally underway
Okay, track laid, wiring done, first structure (plastic kit) came in the mail today. Kibri 38530 DEMAG container crane.

Anyone care to recommend a bonding strategy (brand, thickness, application method, etc.)? Last time I assembled a plastic kit was about 25 yrs ago and I used Testors plastic cement in a metal tube (still available today, I am guessing) but I am looking for alternative recommendations.
 
I think most folks find that liquid cement makes for a cleaner job. The tube stuff can leave unsightly globs even when you are trying your best to avoid them. I just use the Testors liquid and a fine brush.

The tube stuff does work for some jobs, usually where there is no chance it will show. Super glue comes in handy sometimes also.
 
Depends on you. I use Testor's liquid cement, Faller Expert, which is a gel in a bottle with a pinpoint applicator, Tenax and ACC in both liquid and gel form. I haven't used the old "airplane glue" since I was a kid.
 


Hey Everyone!

Has anybody tried the new Krazy Glue with the applicator brush? it goes on purple then dries clear and I can't see a trace of it after it dries.

I have only used it on some household repairs, ceramics and plastic. Worked great, but I have yet to try it on a model.

So far I think its great and it does not dry up or glue the lid closed. I have had mine for just over a month.
 
I use Loctite for most things. I've been using it for years and I'm very satisfied. For very small plastic parts I use Testors Liquid or Hypocement. For wood I use TiteBond. For paper, fabric and some small wood parts I use Arleen's Tacky Glue. For parts that might get bumped or scenery I use GE Clear Silicone.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top