Outback
Low Budget & Old School
Well, after hanging around a bit and getting a feel for the forums and making almost 40 posts, I suppose it is about time I make my introduction. I guess I should have done this sooner but was so caught up in catching up that I failed in that department. So here goes...
I am yet another middle aged guy just returning to HO model railroading after quite a few years away. Over the Christmas season of 2010 I staked a claim to half the basement rec room and put up some benchwork in an around the walls U pattern to begin working on my Canadian Prairies branchline layout. At the moment I am at the "track is laid now lets start ballasting and scenicking" stage.
I have noted that a lot, and I mean A LOT, has changed since I was last actively railway modelling. Prices for one thing have sky-rocketted and on-hand selection of supplies and equipment has taken a serious dive for the worse IMO. Pre-ordering and speculated not quite available yet supplies are running rampant. What's with that anyway? I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to these new ways of participating in this hobby. Thank the heavens I saved everything I had when I shut down in 94. At least I have most of what I need to get something happening and not be faced with a bill of a couple thousand dollars just to break in again.
All that aside, I have been having fun re-learning things and getting back the thrill and enthusiasm for railway modelling as I pick up where I left off and continue into the future with my freelanced Branch Line Railways Corporation set in the present time in the best part of the country. Big skies and golden fields lay alongside the winding rails of the flatlands in what was once the vast western expansion of the Dominion.
A little wordy? LOL ok, short form:
Branch Line Railways
Canadian Prairies
1980-present
Loco Roster = 14 - no units larger than GP40, mostly switchers and GP9s
We STILL run cabooses!!!
The Station is a museum!
Layout is 8ftx13ftx7.5ftx3ft U shape-ish
Single mainline typical of smaller branchline subdivisions
engine shops and small yard at one end - wye at other.
assorted prairie industries at railside - rural theme amplified
I guess that's more or less it. Any questions? ask away
Dunc
I am yet another middle aged guy just returning to HO model railroading after quite a few years away. Over the Christmas season of 2010 I staked a claim to half the basement rec room and put up some benchwork in an around the walls U pattern to begin working on my Canadian Prairies branchline layout. At the moment I am at the "track is laid now lets start ballasting and scenicking" stage.
I have noted that a lot, and I mean A LOT, has changed since I was last actively railway modelling. Prices for one thing have sky-rocketted and on-hand selection of supplies and equipment has taken a serious dive for the worse IMO. Pre-ordering and speculated not quite available yet supplies are running rampant. What's with that anyway? I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to these new ways of participating in this hobby. Thank the heavens I saved everything I had when I shut down in 94. At least I have most of what I need to get something happening and not be faced with a bill of a couple thousand dollars just to break in again.
All that aside, I have been having fun re-learning things and getting back the thrill and enthusiasm for railway modelling as I pick up where I left off and continue into the future with my freelanced Branch Line Railways Corporation set in the present time in the best part of the country. Big skies and golden fields lay alongside the winding rails of the flatlands in what was once the vast western expansion of the Dominion.
A little wordy? LOL ok, short form:
Branch Line Railways
Canadian Prairies
1980-present
Loco Roster = 14 - no units larger than GP40, mostly switchers and GP9s
We STILL run cabooses!!!
The Station is a museum!
Layout is 8ftx13ftx7.5ftx3ft U shape-ish
Single mainline typical of smaller branchline subdivisions
engine shops and small yard at one end - wye at other.
assorted prairie industries at railside - rural theme amplified
I guess that's more or less it. Any questions? ask away
Dunc
