ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
it adds win7 and 8 support, it might have firmware changes, which may be why the pr3 is retired, other than that it looks the same as the pr3 and be the same, the soundloader may also be supported for Win7/8.
The only difference between the PR3 and the PR3Xtra is that the PR3Xtra comes with a power supply.
I use the PR3 just for programming under JMRI and connect to the layout with locobuffer usb.
You can download updates and drivers from the Digitrax site under the downloads tab.
The first thing I did with the Pr3 when I bought it was to set it up in free standing mode with a wall wart for a power supply and attached it to a separate piece of track for programming on, underneath the benchwork, near to my computer. Any wall wart that puts out at least 12V at 1/2 amp was suitable. When I started doing installs and repairs to locos from our LHS, I was working with a lot of sound equipped engines, and to prevent problems with these, I bought and hooked up a PTB-100 from Soundtraxx. I have no problems programming anything that has sound in it now. Since I had been using JMRI via a Loco Buffer I didn't miss a beat.
...
I use the PR3 just for programming under JMRI and connect to the layout with locobuffer usb.
You can download updates and drivers from the Digitrax site under the downloads tab.
I hope you know that by connecting the Pr3 to the layout via a Loconet cable, and clicking the "Loconet" tab at the top of first JMRI page, and then selecting "PR3 MODE" and under that choose "INTERFACE MODE" you can do the same thing that the Loco Buffer does? This came in real handy the day my Grandson poured a can of sprite into my Loco Buffer USB. I was speed matching 2 Spectrums that I own, and it made the speed matching just as easy as with the LB.
I have mine set up as a separate freestanding programmer. Other than a short piece of loconet cable that I use to connect to the layout with, I have no connection with the layout whatsoever. I change the PR3 mode when I'm speed matching only. Advantage using it freestanding is I don't go through the command station. I can program without even turning on the layout.
Edit 2 hours after posting: My half-heimers must be kicking in again. I believe I just said all this a couple of posts ago.