ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I just got an NCE power cab system but there are no AC terminals so I need a power transformer to operate Atlas remote turnouts. I found a Miniatronics WT16 with 16vac, 800ma but it says it's for lighting accessories only so I don't know if this will work the turnouts. Can anyone recommend one?
Just about any extra power pack will work, even those cheap train set packs.
Sorry, but most turnouts require several amps to operate.
Their coil resistance is only several ohms, a 5 ohm coil
will draw 3 amps at 15 volts. Although it's only for a short
duration, an 800 mA transformer won't deliver the current
needed. It could be rectified and used to charge a fat
capacitor to well over 20 volts DC. That charge would
deliver a nice current pulse to your turnout. That same
system would operate a number of turnouts, one-at-a-time.
About a year or two ago I picked up a MRC AD515 Auxilliary AC power pack at my LHS (Caboose Hobbies in Denver, CO). I tried looking up this item on MRC's website, but don't find it. So I don't know if it was something left over in the store's shelf stock. Whatever, it is hooked up to my AC bus, and powers Atlas, Kemtron and other twin coil machines just fine. Original price was about $30, but was reduced to $19.95 by the store. As was said, just about any generic model railroad power pack with AC terminals will work, unless you are cascading a bunch (three or more???) of turnouts to operate simultaneously. In that case you might be best off with a capacitor discharge setup.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)