Power supplies

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Jim G

New Member
Hi everyone! I am a newbie to MRR and DCC. My old layout ran on DC, and I plan my new layout to run on DCC. I have a SEBX starter set, and my dumb question is.......what power supply can I use to power the DB150? The manual says that I need one, but it does not say which one. I have an ANTRON DC power supply that will supply 9 amps if needed--that is, AC in, DC out---it was used to power a Ham radio in the house. It's very stable, and the output is 12V.

I've read that I need 16V at 1 to 3 amps, and everything I read just confuses me more. Can someone tell me if the PS I have will work without blowing the DB150 up or burning out my locos?

Thanks, Jim G:D
 
I'd rather use the one made by the DCC equipment manufacturer to be safe (Since you said DB150, I would assume that you are using Digitrax?)

AC adapters/power supplies have two different polarities, and the DB150 needs a specific input voltage and current. Too much and it can damage the system, too little, and you will experience erratic behavior.
 
From Digitrax for a DB150
Accepts either 50/60Hz AC or DC input from your existing power supply. Minimum input voltage: 12V AC or DC, Maximum input voltage: 22V AC or 28V DC. The power supply you use should be within this range and should be overload protected for a maximum output of 4.5 amps DC.

As you can see, they are very flexible. If it meets these requirements, you should be safe. I use an 120/16vac out, transformer for my DCS200.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I am a newbie to MRR and DCC. My old layout ran on DC, and I plan my new layout to run on DCC. I have a SEBX starter set, and my dumb question is.......what power supply can I use to power the DB150? The manual says that I need one, but it does not say which one. I have an ANTRON DC power supply that will supply 9 amps if needed--that is, AC in, DC out---it was used to power a Ham radio in the house. It's very stable, and the output is 12V.

I've read that I need 16V at 1 to 3 amps, and everything I read just confuses me more. Can someone tell me if the PS I have will work without blowing the DB150 up or burning out my locos?

Thanks, Jim G:D

Jim,

The Antron supply is current limited and about 13.5 volts no load, although that varies a little from supply to supply. It is very stable with load, but it puts you near the low voltage limit.

The two issues you might possibly have are your supply is current limited at more current than the system recommends, and it is on the low voltage end. Personally if I had one, I would use it except for the PITA of moving it from place to place.

According to the spec's of the DB150 you would be OK. I'd add a 4 amp fast blow fuse though just in case the DB150 has no current limiting. I'm sure your Antron is far better than any supply that comes with DCC systems, so long as they run at 13 volts DC and have proper current limiting in the DCC system. It sure won't damage or burn up the locomotives or the DCC system.

Tom
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top