Poor service?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Man, Athearn has really gone downhill. I just opened up two packages of Genesis trucks, and one truck is missing the brake shoes & actuator part (small triangular part attach to main truck frame).

I immediately contacted Athearn, and their reply...

These trucks are out of stock. You will need to try back in a couple ofmonths we may get some in then.

It's depressing that they can't even keep a record of it, and send me the missing part when they get some. Instead they say try again later.
 
Josh, that's too bad. I'm sure Uncle Irv is turning over in his grave. :( Ever since Horizon bought Athearn, their customer service has gone down the tubes. I e-mailed them last week with a question about adding a DCC decoder to an RTR GP38-2 and didn't even get the courtesy of an automated reply. If they can't do that, I guess maintaining a back order system is way beyond them.
 
That seems to be the way with some of the larger suppliers and as you correctly pointed out Josh it's only common courtesy to state they will send you the missing parts when they get in, not to expect you to contact them at a later date on a matter that was their doing or should be under their control.

Poor business practice indeed!
 


Did you order the part from Athearn's site or did you order it form some other online retailer? Also if you ordered from another retailer can you give me the name?
 
Well yes if Athearn's very own distributor had them, they had to get them from somewhere... And it's not like Atlas will be selling them lol, so Athearn probably told you they didn't have them in stock to avoid having to send you a new truck and the fact they didn't say "We will send you a new truck set once we get some in stock" also makes me even more suspicious. But that's just a though, I doubt that would happen.
 
Well you are talking about Athearns service which has gone down the drain. I should say the same for Walthers, which luckily I have not bought anything so far and not intend too after their "kind" service. I e-mailed them 4 times since begining of last December and I have got not reply yet for any of my 4 e-mails. What would you say about that!!!!
 
Well you are talking about Athearns service which has gone down the drain. I should say the same for Walthers, which luckily I have not bought anything so far and not intend too after their "kind" service. I e-mailed them 4 times since begining of last December and I have got not reply yet for any of my 4 e-mails. What would you say about that!!!!

I'd say call them on the phone, and talk to a real person!

I find I have better luck on the phone, than with email.

Rotor
 
Josh maybe you could try some small distributor or look on ebay and pick up some trucks . Lots of stores and dealers out there. Sorry for the poor service from Athearn dude !
 
I'm gonna have to buy a few more sets, though its still annoying that I can't get a replacement part for something that was missing.
 


I'd say call them on the phone, and talk to a real person!

I find I have better luck on the phone, than with email.

Rotor

WHAT, U gone nuts? a phone call from my country to Walthers would cost more then a Railroad box set of fime locos. If they won't reply I can easily see their way of treating clients.
 
Ok guys, here's the reply I got from Athearn Customer service:
Josh, Thank-you for your inquiry. Please note that you have contacted the Athearn Help Desk. [...info about lack of copy of previous emails...] It is likely that you contacted our Parts Department and not us. It is also likely that you were asked to contact them later because the Parts Department does not know for certain that we will be receiving the part(s) in question. We cannot and do not create waiting lists for parts that are not scheduled to be produced. We are a small company and we do not have the personnel to maintain waiting lists of this nature. Please contact our Parts Department ([email protected]) in a couple of months regarding these parts because it is possible that by that time they may have more information for you regarding the availability of the parts that you need. Sincerely, Athearn Trains
 
Really? Athearn and Horizion are "small" companies that can't maintain backorder lists? Gee, they don't seem to have a problem maintaining pre-order lists. What a bunch of hooey! :(
 
wow if they are small companies, i wonder what that makes my company? I can tell ya every part we EVER bought or sold, when and where for how much, where you can find another one, ect, and its just me and two employees, we must be a really BIG company!!
 
Say Josh,
It's possible that Athern would rather you send the whole truck back and they would just replace it with a new one?

I'm not saying that this is necessarly very convenient for you but I've noticed
that lots of folks just don't want to go through any extra work if they don't have to!

Hope the matter get resolved to your satisfaction.

David
 
David, could be, but they did not ask for that. I find that completely reasonable, and I would send them the truck if they asked. However, they did not, they just said try again...
 
Well, Athearn came though, they sent me two brand new Genesis trucks with 36" wheels, plus 10 spare bearing caps. Sadly the set of wheels I had were 33" so I just swapped the missing part from the replacement sets, to the set missing the part. I guess I'll just use the two Athearn sent me, w/o the brake rigging, on a covered hopper.
 
Ah! Your perseverance paid off. ;)
I missed this thread in the beginning. I have to agree with others that a phone call is usually more successful. I may try an email, but if I don't hear back in a few days, I get on the old landline...well, cellphone...its free long distance :D
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top