POLL: Control Turnouts w/ Toggle Switch Panel or Via DCC Macros

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Would you prefer to Control Switches thru DCC CAB, or traditional Switch Panel?

  • I'd put DCC decoders in all my switches and control them from my CAB

    Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I'd wire the switches straight to a panel and control from there

    Votes: 4 28.6%

  • Total voters
    14
  • Poll closed .

jtomai

New Member
Im wiring my turnouts right now and have a high end NCE DCC system -NCE Power Pro. I have turnouts working just fine through my CAB with Macros to link them together in Routes, but Im wondering if I ought to build an old fashioned Toggle Switch Panel. How do you guys feel about Running a RR entirely through a CAB, or using the CAB in conjunction with a switch panel?
 
DCC operation will be particularly nice if you need to use the switch routes. As long as money isn't an issue that is the way I'd go. BTW, the LS150 stationary decoders (Lenz) have worked well for us with our Digitrax system.
 
The club has the tortoises hooked up to toggle switches on a panel. I think that the panel is easier because you can see exactly which switch you are throwing, although I guess you can replace the toggle switches with markings for the stationary decoder addresses if you decide to go the DCC method.

Another good thing about the toggle panel is that you can throw switches while the layout is shorted out or has some other problem since it is not hooked into the DCC system. It also makes it easier to check to see if your switches are lined by the position of the toggle switch, so that you don't have to stick your head over every switch to see whether it is lined.
 


i would love to put DCC decoders in all my switches and control them from my CAB but due to lots of switchers being on layout i must wire the switches straight to a panel and control from there !
 
I'm doing both. I have an NCE PHP also. I use the macros for routes. But for my yard, I use the NCE mini-panel on all the yard switches that have push buttons for each yard track. The NCE mini-panel acts like the buttons on your throttle, but with an easy quick button push, it frees up your hand. The switches can be thrown with either the throttle or push buttons.

http://www.tonystrains.com/products/nce_other.htm
 
I wired my mainline turnouts with NCE "Switch-8's" powering Tortoise switch machines with LED indicators on an overhead panel.
I consider that to be the second best thing I ever did next to going DCC in the first place.
I can sit in my chair with my DT400 remote and run four to five trains over my single track mainline, love it love it love it!
 
for my yard, I use the NCE mini-panel on all the yard switches that have push buttons for each yard track. The NCE mini-panel acts like the buttons on your throttle, but with an easy quick button push, it frees up your hand.
http://www.tonystrains.com/products/nce_other.htm

Wow... I checked the mini-panel out. THAT is cool. I already have NCE Switch-8's wired to my Tortoise machines and I already have access to my turnouts via DCC CAB but that Mini-panel will make it much easier to design an actual panel interface. I have an idea of how this mini panel works tell me if Im right: Two wires from the mini panle connect to the main DCC bus, the rest of the sets of two wire inputs go to the toggle switches or push buttons.. is that it?

Im getting one tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!

-J
 
All of my turnouts on the mainline have Tortoises with Lenz 150 stationary decoders on a Digitrax system. Yards and industrial sidings have ground throws. All my visiting operators (and myself) prefer it that way. (certainly a lot cheaper for me. ;))
 
I'd like to have the ability to have a fully automated (computer controlled) train run through my layout while I operate a train manually. The computer would need to be able to control all the turnouts on the routes it can run trains on, so I'd probably end up with a situation similar to Rex. In fact, I like the idea of ground throws more than a switch panel. Even in areas at the club where I am very familiar with a yard I sometimes select the wrong toggle for a yard track and make more work for myself running the train back and forth. With ground throws you're physically interacting with the track and are more likely to get it right ;)
________
Gong bong
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wow... I checked the mini-panel out. THAT is cool. I already have NCE Switch-8's wired to my Tortoise machines and I already have access to my turnouts via DCC CAB but that Mini-panel will make it much easier to design an actual panel interface. I have an idea of how this mini panel works tell me if Im right: Two wires from the mini panle connect to the main DCC bus, the rest of the sets of two wire inputs go to the toggle switches or push buttons.. is that it?

Im getting one tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!

-J

Yes that's it. And then you program each button to throw one or as many switches you want.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top