Plastic Static Train Model

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


drtolga

New Member
Hi guys,
I'm new at building plastic models. I have build some models of Revell till now. At least I build the BR01 and BR02 Express Locomotive of Revell. I have fun building train models. but I can't find any other than the BR's of Revell. Could anybody recommend me any other plastic static train models?
Thanks a lot.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the both models of Revell. Are there any other company producing static plastic train models other then Revell?
 


For some reason static train models have always been uncommon. The Big Boy and Hudson were originally done by Monogram in the 1980s and those were the first static models I had seen in a long time. In the 1950s Hobbyline produced some plastic static kits including a Nickel Plate Berkshire and a 0-4-0 switcher. The British company Rosebud Kitmaster produced at least one U.S. prototype, a J3A NYC Hudson which happens to be the same one Monogram did 25+ years later. Rosebud/Kitmaster produced some static models of British locomotives and some passenger cars. These turn up on the used market here and there - the Hobbyline Berkshire is fairly easy to come by on ebay and won't cost you an arm and a leg, but hard to make sure it has all the parts.

My dad had one of the Berkshires when I was a kid... it probably cost about $3 back then, as compared to more like $40 for a brass one.... the good old days. Nowadays the Hobbyline static model will run you $20 to $25, a used Rivarossi $100, a Proto 2000 more like $300, and brass who knows....

Andy
 
Most of them are "ready models". I want to built the model myself by glueing the parts and painting it afterwards.
 
Trumpeter made the German Loco from WWII in 1/35 scale. Dragon models also does the Leopold and the other railway guns. Trump. did a whole line including a boxcar and flat car. Beware, they are pricey and will take up alot of room, but the detail is great.
 
For some reason static train models have always been uncommon. The Big Boy and Hudson were originally done by Monogram in the 1980s and those were the first static models I had seen in a long time. In the 1950s Hobbyline produced some plastic static kits including a Nickel Plate Berkshire and a 0-4-0 switcher. The British company Rosebud Kitmaster produced at least one U.S. prototype, a J3A NYC Hudson which happens to be the same one Monogram did 25+ years later. Rosebud/Kitmaster produced some static models of British locomotives and some passenger cars. These turn up on the used market here and there - the Hobbyline Berkshire is fairly easy to come by on ebay and won't cost you an arm and a leg, but hard to make sure it has all the parts.

My dad had one of the Berkshires when I was a kid... it probably cost about $3 back then, as compared to more like $40 for a brass one.... the good old days. Nowadays the Hobbyline static model will run you $20 to $25, a used Rivarossi $100, a Proto 2000 more like $300, and brass who knows....

Andy

They're probably uncommon since they're very boring when compared to regular electric trains.

I recall a couple of others though.

AHM/Rivarossi had an O scale 0-8-0 switcher modeled after the Indiana Harbor Belt. It was unpowered, but there were options to motorize it, maybe from third parties. I think I've got one sitting around here someplace.

AMT made a 1/25th scale model of the classic 4-4-0 "the General".
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top