Plaster or smooth-it?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


How does regular plaster of paris compare to smooth-it when making roadways? I started my roadways today and decided to use plaster because I can't seem to get smooth-it locally! My major roadway runs turned out fine so far (IMO :o) but around rail crossings I think I may have some issues. Any tips?
 
Actually haven't run into any problems yet. I will post a pic of the crossings in a bit. I still have to clean off the rails. No, not sheet rock compound, just plaster of paris. I was considering sheet rock compound but didn't think that was a good idea. BTW since plaster never loses it's moisture content, will it conduct electricity? My trains are going over the crossings just fine (though I need a good track cleaning as well as cleaning the wheels on my locos) so I don't think that the plaster will be an issue as far as that. I was more wondering if plaster makes a good medium to make roads or not. Thanks guys!
 


It looks ok. I'd make the ramp on the outside of the tracks have a less abrupt angle by making it extend further back on the road though. That's just my opinion. You might find over time that the plaster develops cracks from humidity and other changes. That is ok outside the rails and would look like most of the roads where I live. LOL. However between the rails it might chip and the loose pieces cause a derailment. If it happens you might want to shape a piece of .060 styrene to replace the plaster. Scratch it up with some sandpaper and glue it down onto the ties.
 
the angle looks alot sharper in the pics than it really is. that was one concern that I had from the start b/c I didn't want like a huge slope there so when I did it I made sure that I smoothed it out as best I could. The road is actually pretty thick (3/16") so it is def. just the pic :D

Edit: Also, the outside rail is slightly higher than the inside rail and that makes it look steeper as well
 
Speaking of terrible crossings (this is still on topic, just so everyone knows!!!! :D) I was in the Chambersburg area of PA a few years ago driving my mom's car. She warned me about this one rail crossing that was terrible for cars but I didn't know where it was. I went over that sucker like 35 and nearly tore the suspension out of the car. Then I saw someone go over it later and they really did lose their bumper!! Hillarious! Yeah it was a double track line there too.
 
I got an 8-lb bucket of plaster of paris at michaels for 7.49 so it was actually pretty cheap. Though most other places wanted freakin 8 something for 4 lbs!!! I may try that stuff at some point tho...
 


If you need more working time with plaster and white vinager to it or buy patching plaster from a home store,one thing I do know is that rock hard putty is strong someone needs to try it for roads and post a pic of the results,I would but I got alot going on now.
 
There is a YouTube layout construction series in which the guy shows how to build a road with the Durham's Water putty. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top