Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Locos

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


PITFan48

New Member
I have just recently gotten back into model railroading after a long layoff, and have decided to build a layout of moderate size (Approximately an 4' x 8' with an adjoining 4' x 4' area). After looking at various railroads from the area I am from (Youngstown, OH) I have decided to go with the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie as my road of choice. I have glanced around some various websites online, but really haven't found too much in availability. Would anyone know where I could find some rolling stock and locos for a small regional railroad such as the P&LE?
 
This is the only one that I know of.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH96655

These are a few that I made myself.

101_0717.jpg
 


Brad, only problem with the Atlas MP15DC's is the long handrails. All of the PL&E's SW1500's and MP15DC's had the shorty handrails that I can find.

I never noticed that before Jerome, then again I am not really into PL&E but it goes to show that you need to do a little research into your road name and model if you want to be prototypical.

View attachment 21509

I guess when you are in the business of mass production like Atlas; you can just slap some black paint on a model and call it PL&E worthy. For the prices of these models now days you think they could have added the short rails for this one model. Heck it means less plastic and less holes for the factory to drill, you would think that would save them money. But on a cookie cutter assembly line, the change would probably require special attention and the factory would end up charging Atlas a premium, therefore they skip it altogether.
 
If you're looking for steam, the P&LE also got a lot of hand-me down Pacific's from the NYC; K-3's and K-11's.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top