ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I really can't add anything that hasn't all ready been suggested other than its your railroad and build it to your needs! Somewhere under mine is a desk its great I can sit in two different rooms and see it!
I've been reading and commenting as I could. I had a real fight with my meds the past three weeks, it could have gone really wrong. It looks like I'm getting back to OK. For awhile there layout height didn't seem to be a factor anymore hahaha..... I'll get started again soon as soon as I recorver a bit more physically, and financially of course. Even those co-pays mount up.
Jim,
Just my two cents worth here ... my benchwork is at 32" with my track, scenery etc on top of that. It is at that height not for physical issues, but for convenience and works well for me. It allows me sit and see the entire layout in comfort and, obviously, allows me to run the layout without having to stand. I also use a high back computer chair that is height adjustable.
I suppose the main thing is, regardless of height, is what is most comfortable for you and what works best for you.
Hope you recover quickly and all is well.
Mr. Jim, I'm 5'9 and currently have 4 herniated discs with spinal stenosis from L4-5 all the way up to my C6. My benchwork is at 42" with 2" foam board for a grand total of 44" which seems to be a tolerable viewing height for me in an adjustable height office chair. I'd probably go a bit lower now so I could work from the chair but that's all hindsight.
Gseritt, that sounds about tight for me. I'm mulling a starting point of 36 inches. It's pretty obvious that my time with my trains will best be done sitting. I've been laying down for two weeks now, and I'm bored of that. The last time I had trains running it was 42 inches plus and I was in my late 30's.
Thank you everyone, my back isn't a serious issue, I know how to deal with my back. My problem is heart disease (post 2 major heart attacks) diabetes and hyper tension. My blood goes farther sitting for sure. I will make the efforts necessary building, it's the play time I beginning to think about. It's so nice of you all to use your time and effort to think about this stuff..
Hi Jim
I'm 61 this year and have the same problems as you do, (except for diabetes) I had a heart attack and by-pass a couple of years ago, although I still work full time. (struggle)
I have taken a couple of weeks off work to start my new layout, so I find I have the same problem as you.
I will be making the layout with 4 modules, (6' x 3') so after reading all this great advice I will start with a module at 48", (to test height & reach etc) then cut down the legs to a height that is suitable for me, then I will build the other modules the same height, join and lay track etc.
I to will use a comfy stool/chair to operate, but as others have said you still need to gain access under the layout.
All I need then is a flat screen TV on the wall and a bar fridge, what more can a guy ask for.
All the best with your project.
Regards
Gary
Some of my very best times "by mysef" were working on my layout and running trains. I will have those times again. Physical strength and finances are my problems these days but I'll make it. We should keep in touch Gary, sounds like we have similar challenges! Overcomming those challenges will make us prideful.
Jim, Jim here. I just noticed your thread and read each post. MY solution, and one you mentioned, is to build the platform and a regular 'standup' layout. Platforms are good in that they can have storage underneath and a nice desk chair will go from "here to there." You know I have a bad back and am working on my last layout of this size. So I could not used a 30" ATFloor because I can't bend over well. You see platforms in museums and places mainly for kids and wheel chairs. Seems only logical a platform should or could be used in your case. Jim
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)