Peco medium turnouts

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


bkpigs

Member
What does a Peco medium turnout equate to? Is it close to a no. 6 turnout? Smaller than that, larger maybe? Maybe the no. 6 has the N.A. style (straight after the frog) and the mediums have the european style (curved after frog)? Trying to buy some (need 2 LH, 2 RH, and a three way) from evilbay. Thanks for your help.
 
Code 75 or 100 Medium is about a #4.5 frog with a 36" curved diverging leg.

In fact, "Small", "Medium", and "Large" all have roughly a #4.5 frog. The diverging legs are 24, 36, and 60 inch radii.

Thus, none are exactly equivalent to a typical #6 turnout with straight diverging leg.
 


Ok, gots another question. I was going to buy the electrofrog turnouts because I wanted smooth operation. But the more I think about it I would like to not have to do the extra wiring and worry about power routing it. Does the insulfrog turnouts work smoothly? After being dissapointed with the operations of the Atlas turnouts (even after powering the frogs) I am a little on edge about what style of peco to buy.
 
never had any problem with the medium electrofrog, but im on dcc. The atlas turnout really suck, they always short when my long locos goes over it
 
I've used insulfrog Peco's, depending on the loco, they can short across the two tracks. I found I had to file a small gap between the rails.

It's been awhile since I had them tho, so I'm alittle foggy.

Very smooth otherwise, I loved the positive switch action.

Ken.
 
I am not using their Code 100 curved/British style turnouts. I use their Streamline Code 83 Insulfrog #6 turnouts exclusively in my yard, and I luv 'em.

Ken, where have you been?!!

Crandell
 
Thanks everyone. I have decided to go with the electrofrog to be on the safe side. I will insulate the rails at the appropriate places and rely on the points for power routing (for now). I would really like to be able to run a two axle switcher with no lurching.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top