ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Anyone using Peco HO flex track? Thoughts? Looking for an alternative to Atlas, most because I haven't used anything else, would prefer not to use sectional, and Atlas seems like it's still pretty scarce.
Dudepants,
It is unbelievable that Atlas track is STILL almost impossible to get. I think a lot of people are moving away from them for that very reason, and moving to Peco Track.
So, to answer your actual question. I have used Peco Flex track (in conjunction with Atlas Sectional Track) and haven't really had an issue with it of any great significance. I honestly believe that the Peco product is a better quality than the Atlas as well, especially in the area of turnouts.
Cheers,
Thanks Wombat, looks like I have little choice and it sounds like Peco makes good stuff, so I'm taking the plunge!!

Yep Peco flex track and switches are great, thats what I use. Its easy to work with, and the quality is outstanding.
Awesome, thanks Motley, I'm sold!
I also sold all my non-Peco items to start a new layout and aside from a few "FastTrack" turnouts everything is Peco Code 83 - happy as can be with the product.
I also sold all my non-Peco items to start a new layout and aside from a few "FastTrack" turnouts everything is Peco Code 83 - happy as can be with the product.
It's undisputed practically among model railroaders that as far as manufactured turnouts are concerned, Peco is at the top of the list. So after so much research that was my final choice. Glad to see everyone here so happy with theirs. Mine should be arriving within the next 48 hours.
Sounds like a common theme, good to know. Seems like Peco is widely available, so I'm going that route.
Okay guys ... despite having a million dollars into my non completed layout for track, I am now thinking about getting rid of my Atlas track for Peco. I know I said that Peco was better but heck, did you guys have to be so convincing with your corroboration????

Okay guys ... despite having a million dollars into my non completed layout for track, I am now thinking about getting rid of my Atlas track for Peco. I know I said that Peco was better but heck, did you guys have to be so convincing with your corroboration????
hahahahaha!!!
So I got my first box of Peco code 83 flex track today. I have to say, I'm REALLY impressed with the quality. Really excited to lay this stuff down but I have to buy my turnouts first which are going to cost an arm and a leg!
I think you are going to like the flex track. One thing I might suggest you get and that is this the Flex Track Ends (sorry forgot their proper names). All they do is finish the track so it looks like sectional track and provides the rail joiner "cut outs" that help with joining the track and ensure you have the same amount of track joiner on each part.
You will also need a "good" track cutter as well. I'd also suggest you buy the "smallest" drill bit for drilling out the tie holes for pinning the track in place. If you are Mr Universe, you can probably push a pin through those holes though, from the underside of the track.
Have fun, and look forwar to the pics of your progress.
Awesome, thanks for the tips Tony! I'm all over it. Based on my SCARM plans, I should have about a mile of scale track, which is about three times as much as I had with my 4x6.5' layout. Also the minimum curves will be between 22 and 24". I'll make sure to post pics once I get the bench work up and rollin.
Hey Dudepants,
I layed flex track for the first time last night (Peco Code 83) and it was easy to work with. Since both rails move, you dont need to really worry about which rail is on the inside of your curves. One thing, the rail joiners can be a bit of a (bleeeeeeeep) to get on there. But as long as you take your time and think about what you are doing, its pretty good stuff.
Not a problem Dudepants.
I am very interested in your thoughts doing an entire layout with Peco Flex Track. I have just ordered a box of the stuff for my layout to replace the Atlas Sectional Track I have down.
22" and 24" curves - sounds like an old girlfriend of mine

Seriously, I am restricted to 18" max, you having 22 and 24" curves should have an easier time of it I would think ... and that is a good thing.
A couple other things about Peco Flex which may help you.
The rails are fitted into small slots on the ties and they can pop out on you if you are using any force...while putting a rail joiner on, for example. If this happens, just cut the ties off and slide them back on down the slots. If you try to force them back on, you risk breaking the molded slot and run a risk of ruining some track.
In a addition, a piece is hard to ruin. Last night I learned NOT to solder 4 pieces together (do 3 max) and attempt to lay the track WITHOUT help. The track will twist and your solder point will snap. Now, if this happens, no worries...just trim a little off the piece and redo your solder.
Hey LedZep,
Thanks for the heads up, any info is much appreciated. Did you tack your track down or use an adhesive? If you glued it, what did you use?
Tony - I'm honestly thinking about selling my sectional Atlas after just looking at this Peco stuff. Can't wait to order the turnouts (I need 7 of them).
I used Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive on cork road bed. I put down a bead and smoothed it with a putty knife. Not too much...I maybe could have used more but it seems to have done well after drying over night.
I used thumb tacks to add extra down pressure.
Noted. More than likely I'll go that route. I actually like the process of using track nails, but I must admit, gluing gives it a cleaner look.
Noted. More than likely I'll go that route. I actually like the process of using track nails, but I must admit, gluing gives it a cleaner look.
Right...and Peco has no holes in their ties so that makes it a big hassle with having to drill holes in the ties.
Plus, a tube of Liquid Nails is less then 2 bucks (1.77 here in AR)...so its pretty cheap.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)