PC Power Supplies

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Is there anyway to make a PC Power Supply work w/out it hooked to the Motherboard on a Computer? I have one that was converted a few years ago for me & I use it to power a lot of layout structure lights. That unit has 8 diff. voltages in output & I use 4 of them.
I now have about 10 Power supplies that I need on the layout & all are fan cooled. Suggestions much needed.
 
I looked up on the website "How Stuff Works" & it said that the PS needs 5volts to make it turn on & even after you turn off your PC the PS stays on for a short time. If I knew which circuit to feed the 5V. from the PS to that wire I could probably make this thing work. Also, if I use a female plug from a Motherboard to plug the main plug from the PS, do you think this would make it turn on? When you test a PS w/a tester the main plug has to be plugged in to make the rest of the plugs work.
I hate to not be able to use these PS's since I get them for free. The cheapest one new is from $80.00 & up. You can buy them for $10.00, but they don't have the various voltages.
 
I have a PSU hooked up as a bench power supply for testing stuff. It's pretty easy to re-rig one of these.

There's a wire coming out, grey or green depending on brand, which has to be connected to ground for the supply to start up. I just wired mine to a SPST switch on the front (put it where the input voltage switch was). I build mine from instructions on instructables.com.

I also found out what each wire/voltage was. It's got 12v, 5v, 3.3v, 12v+, 5v+, and a couple other weird bits. I just hooked it all into a terminal strip, which allows me to easily hook up whatever I want. It had a sticker on it which spelled out the max current for each connection. When I cleaned/partially painted the case I just re-wrote all this down in Sharpie.
 


Search “lab power supply from computer power supply”. There are a few “how to's” on Google and YouTube. Depending on how you run the wires out the back depends on the cost but should only cost a few $.
 
Thanks Everyone for the exc. response's. I'll do the switch for ea. one. I don't know why I didn't think of that part. I'm usually pretty good w/electronics. Must be old age.:) All of mine have the voltage color codes w/the wire & tell if they are pos. or neg. I also have an Amp/Vol. meter which I use quite often.
Thanks again.
Larry:D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top