ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I am reducing the height of the upper yard to 5" from 7". I'll post some pics this weekend to show you what the incline looks like. Thanks for all your input. It is invaluable. When I was in this hobby 25-30 years ago, the resources available were limited to books, magazines, and maybe another modeler. The Internet has changed things dramatically!
Norm
I removed the upper yard totally, and made stand alone yard
I made a 24X48" yard that is 7" higher than the rest of my layout. I have approx 270" of running to raise up 7", or approx 1" every 40". I figure just under 3%. Here's some pics showing what I mean.
I made a 24X48" yard that is 7" higher than the rest of my layout. I have approx 270" of running to raise up 7", or approx 1" every 40". I figure just under 3%. Here's some pics showing what I mean.
I haven't started to construct anything on it yet. I am starting to lay the rail to the upper yard just today. "We will see" is the best way of putting it so far.
Hopefully, the grade isn't too severe. But the only way to tell is to build it.
Here's a couple of pics.
Has anyone tried the woodland scenics grade kits. They look like they should take a lot of the guess work out of the whole thing. I know they come in a few different grades and am considering using them for my layout.
I haven't started to construct anything on it yet. I am starting to lay the rail to the upper yard just today. "We will see" is the best way of putting it so far.
Hopefully, the grade isn't too severe. But the only way to tell is to build it.
Here's a couple of pics.
Keep us inform if you don't mind. I can't waiit til I can start working on my lay-out. So far I jus have a old dinner table I'm goin 2 use for my maintence yard diomara
I've been playing with the Elevation tool in XTrackCad .. assigning different heights to points on the layout and watching how the grade changes .. then modify the levels at different points to lessen the grade .. and so on. Good tool for a little prior-planning .. should at least help put you in the ballpark.
I hope to take a video tomorrow showing how the grade looks with a Pacific 4-6-2.
Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a lot of wheel spinning.
Well, I didn't take a video yet, but discovered that the 4-6-2 will be used for downhill trips only.
A Northern 4-8-4 had no problems pulling 8 cars tonight. I'll add some more tomorrow to see what it tops out at, and WILL take some video.