Paint scheme for B&O GP7

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


krg

New Member
I am new to this and trying to determine the origin of a paint scheme I discovered for A B&O GP7. Here is a link
http://www.davedupler.com/wva/Aaj079.jpg what does this indicate, just an early scheme? Passenger service vs freight? I have always seen the blue with yellow lettering, not sure what these colors are.

Thanks

KRG


Welcome to the forms KRG
Willis
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a dual-service engine, with a steam generator for heating passenger cars. The big tubes on the roof are the train air brake tanks, which had to be located there to make room for a water tank under the frame, where the tanks normally would go.
Paint scheme is passenger.
 


I actually saw one of these GP7s at the B&O Railroad Museum last week, perhaps a bit more weathered ha. Had a blast checking everything out there.


ad55c852b504a28baf4f8a7fa825ef5a.jpg
302d5a24e30ee28acaf79868cbb7648c.jpg
fb89f20dc868ed2e744c733711e5d278.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that was the scheme Athearn used on their original Blue Box geep.

BTW - that is actually a GP9, you can tell that by looking at the large set of louvers close to the cab. They did however have some GP7's with the so-called "torpedo tube" air tank configuration, they were numbered in the 6690-series.


That one was repainted by the museum, looks like the elements are taking their toll on it:(. Here is a photo of it still in active service in 1975: http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo6607goc.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top