Paint removal

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Actually, I'm pretty sure it's bad for Squadron green putty. I soaked a model car in alcohol and the putty softened a bit. Then again, I left it in the sun for a day in a sealed jar, and tried to scrape the paint with a fingernail. (Stupid mistakes.)

99% should be fine, even without dilution. It'll just go a bit quicker is all.

I've used 70% to strip paint, but it takes a lot longer. (I've also tried the orange pine-sol, and all it did was smell horrible.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever try to remove lettering from a Broadway 2-6-6-4 tender?

I took the pennsy decal off a BLI mikado a couple years ago. I believe I used walthers solvaset to soften the decal and a pencil eraser (pink colour) to rub it off.
 


I don't think that they are actually decals, the solvaset just seemed to soften the printing eough for the pencil eraser to rub it off
 
I don't think that they are actually decals, the solvaset just seemed to soften the printing eough for the pencil eraser to rub it off

Glen,
I discovered that Solvaset and Micro Sol red label will soften some paints only I wasn't trying to do that. I was blotting up a puddle of the stuff next to a decal I was working and rubbed the tissue just enough to smear the paint. :( The paint in question was Testors Gloss coat, solvent based. Luckily it only affected the gloss coat and when the car was dullcoated the blemish wasn't noticeable.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top