ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Just a few pics of my loco's which of course are British, I have only just started my new layout "Dingo Ridge" which is freelance in every way, not wanting to part with my OO Scale locomotives and rolling stock I decided to give the whole lot a repaint and a couple of other modifications to sort of fit in with an Aussie style layout, when finished I hope to run American steam and early diesel.
My plan is to scratch build nearly everything on this layout, scenery will be very hilly with some exposed rock faces, tunnels and deep cuttings, not a big layout at 10ft x 5 ft but big enough to keep this old dude busy for some time, anyhow here are some of my trains, nothing fancy and still need to be waethered but as you can see I like small loco's and short trains, they fit in with a small layout.
some nice looking equipment! those OO british steam locos are so tempting. good thing i'm broke! who made those locos? look awful good for Bachman units
some nice looking equipment! those OO british steam locos are so tempting. good thing i'm broke! who made those locos? look awful good for Bachman units
Hi There thanks for looking, all loco's and rolling stock are Hornby, only thing I don't like are the tension lock couplers which are reliable but ugly.
haven't seen much hornby steam, looks great! the couplers aren't too bad unless you look for them. think i've seen the hook and chain scale couplings, but those look like a pain in the rear when you have to couple up a whole train! did you add on those headlights? what else do you have to do to make them more like he Australian versions?
Nice models, Oz. Now, time to lose the buffers and get some Kadee's if you want them to look more like Austrailian trains. I've often wondered, why did American railroad practices seemed to take hold in Australia rather than British?
haven't seen much hornby steam, looks great! the couplers aren't too bad unless you look for them. think i've seen the hook and chain scale couplings, but those look like a pain in the rear when you have to couple up a whole train! did you add on those headlights? what else do you have to do to make them more like he Australian versions?
Hi There, yes I did add the headlights and thought of using 3 chain link couplers but after some web research decided to give the idea away, seems that style of couplers cause a few problems, thanks for the suggestion though.
Nice models, Oz. Now, time to lose the buffers and get some Kadee's if you want them to look more like Austrailian trains. I've often wondered, why did American railroad practices seemed to take hold in Australia rather than British?
Hi there Jim, I have used Kadees on other layouts that I have built but modelers that model British OO and use Kadees are very few and far between, many now using the NEM Pocket types which are available in various size's and shapes.
Lots of British and American steam locomotives in Oz, a lot depended on the State rail systems, Queensland and South Australia seemed to follow the American style but the two most populated States New South Wales and Victoria followed British practice, many private railways such as Coal Mining systems used mostly British Tank locos some of which I have the models, many Logging Railways used American loco's including Shay's, Climax and several Baldwin models.
Current Diesel loco's are nearly all American with many models being built under licence
over here, Queensland had several British Diesel's but that have nearly all been scrapped.