Opinions please on Powercab vs. Procab

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Jaoquin

New Member
Hi Everyone,
Here is my stituation.

I already own a hand me down Powerhouse DCC Command Station (PH-1 Circa 1999) without the handheld throttle unit which was lost AND a Loy's Toys Fuel Tank. I have a vague idea how to set them up and
I assume they are in working condition.

I contacted NCE about which handheld unit to get for my Powerhouse and they said the ProCab #524-010 will work with it. That unit sells for about $125-150.

For the pretty much same amount of money I can get the starter set Powercab unit.

So I am wondering which way to go. From what I understand the main differerence is power. 2 amps vs. 5 amps.

Here is the application I will use it for:

It will be controlling a bedroom size HO layout. I can't imagine running more than 3 trains at once (probably 2). I would like to have sound in all of them. Maybe a lighted passenger train. I would also like to have other working signals and stuff. Sadly, I don't have friends into model railroading so I will probably be the only operator.

What would you do?

Thanks to everyone that helped me with my layout design a few months ago. I ended up incorporating many of your ideas
 
The powercab will cover what you want to do. It allso can monitor how many amps your trains are drawing. I have 2 Athearn genesis gp-15 with dcc and tsunami sound and they draw about a 1/2 amp combined. I cant remember the exact number, but you can probably run 5-6 engines depending on how much each one draws.
 
I agree with Ken, use the power cab when you want on the program track, then as a pro cab on your powerhouse system ...lovin my power cab and power pro. Good luck.

John
 


I started with the Power Cab, then added the 3b Smart Booster when I built a new, larger layout to take the power up to 5amps. I know I dont even come close to that limit as I sometimes run 10 engines (about 6 of them sound equipped) at once and I have my CBs set to trip if I exceed 3.71 amps. So expansion with the PowerCab is always an option down the road. It is a great, easy to use system. Good luck.
 
Thanks guys. It sounds like the Power Cab will do everything I want. I can have the Powerhouse unit in reserve.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top