ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I'm looking at getting a decent starter kit, seeing how the only engine I have is in an unknown state. Also, is there an affordable DCC starter kit out there??
I like the Atlas Trainman line. It also comes with a GP38-2. It isn't DCC, but it is DCC ready (meaning a decoder with a 8 pin NMRA plug is what you need for the loco). The Trainman have a good motor and drive system, as well as enough weight to pull things. You'll then add the DCC system (Digitrax, NCE, etc.) of your choice.
Athearn GP38-2 and F7A trainset locomotives will have to be hardwired to accept a DCC decoder.
I would be careful of Athearn. Athearn's standard line of locomotives, like in this set, are a hit and miss proposition when it comes to reliability. Athearn does make a line called Genesis; they do not come in sets but they are a far better product. I would also avoid Bachmann sets. As suggested, Atlas makes some good sets.
As Trey suggested, I would take a look at the Atlas TRAINMAN sets which come with nice running locomotives.
As far as an affordable DCC starter set, I suggest checking out the MRC Prodigy Express and the NCE Power Cab. Either system is really good for starting out in DCC and can be expanded in the future.
Thanks to all that replied, I'll be looking into those sets mentioned. I heard athearn could be better starter set wise, and I have looked at their genisis line, which seems the better way to go if going with that company. Thanks again
I would be careful of Athearn. Athearn's standard line of locomotives, like in this set, are a hit and miss proposition when it comes to reliability. Athearn does make a line called Genesis; they do not come in sets but they are a far better product. I would also avoid Bachmann sets. As suggested, Atlas makes some good sets.
I just bought an Athearn F7A, I've had to oil the motor three times already because it apparently has a bad bushing. This was a new one, and not BB. Once it's oiled it's a good runner, not my best though. I only have one Atlas, bought it used, was not impressed at all, but it was used. I'm discussing a cross shipped replacement with Athearn now, but they seem to think I should be happy sending them an engine less than two weeks old.
Very good advice. This applies to the trainset and RTR versions. I've bought close to a dozen that had problems. Usually one or more of the following. Bad motors, slipping flywheels, cracked trucks, broken handrails, bad wiring, flaky light boards. I bought a GP38-2 that went beyond the coffee grinder designation. It sounded like a bunch of cats having a fight under a mobile home! I even had one catch fire on me (AC4400) only 5 minutes into it's break-in run. It got so bad that I quit buying Athearn locos and switched to Bachmann whose locos have been coming up in quality in recent years. They aren't up to Atlas or Walthers quality but they run a lot better than the Athearn's than I've been getting.