ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I've got 90% of my HO collection up for sale and was going to switch to N scale. I bought a cheap N scale set just to get an idea of what it'd be like. Was planning on a 2x4 N scale coffee table layout. Then I got to thinking, why not go with 3.5 by 5 and stay with HO scale. So i kept my 40' boxes and tanks and made a small layout. Anyone ever seen a 3x5 coffee table layout? Think it might be to big in a living room.(I have a larger rectangular living room)Any ideas on height/depth. I figured i'd try a highly detail 3x5 and see how much I like it. I'll try and get a pic up of my layout shortly, just trying to see if anyone thinks 3x5 is to big for a coffee table or if it's worth the time.
Sounds more like a dining table size, need a big living room for a coffee table that size. Never seen one be interesting though. I have seen pictures of dining table, coffee table and end table N scale layouts they looked cool. My house is so small I'm considering putting a track around the top of the walls with tunnels in between the rooms to make it one big loop but thats a ways off. Of course I'm single so there's no one to object to that,
I'm looking into it more. I can get the plexi for very cheap. Thinking about doing rounded corners vs squared. My only issue is the possible heat from lights, but i don't think the small amount of lights will produce that much heat. There wouldn't be much operation wise, as of now I have an oval with a passing siding, a lead/switch back going to two spurs, and a team track. the lead only holds an engine and two cars, so that'd add a little bit of a puzzle. I know i could do more with N scale in the space, but it's smaller than i expected and i'm wanting to detail everything.
Why don't you try a layout setup that can fold up like a Murphy bed when not in use? This would allow a larger layout size, and it can be tucked away to save space.
The big problems with coffee table type layouts of any scale are, first, having easy access to all parts of the layout when something goes wrong and, second, the issue of when the layout is "done" and can be set on carpet in a living room without having glue, paint, and tools lying all over the place. In my experience, a layout is never "done" since there are always more things to add more things that need fixing and living rooms are a bad place to do that kind of thing. I'd be more in favor of a simple oval with some scenery to hide things than trying to build an operating layout. A coffee table layout, in any scale, is really a display piece more than a layout.
I agree with UP Jim. Aside from having train(s) "orbit" the loop(s), would you want to be looking kneehigh or lower to do switching? Maybe if you sat on the floor?
Dunno, I'd consider the ergonomics carefully. I'm reconsidering the location and height of my shelf layouts because I have to lean forward a bit over my desk underneath them to throw switches. (If I were a REAL model railroader, I guess I'd toss the desk, eh?)
Nah, a REAL model railroader would build a switchback down to the desk, and turn it into the workbench for loco repair, car building, structure building, etc. etc. etc.
Starting to think of this option again. I've got a small HO scale switching layout i'm going to attempt to put into a coffee table..... I'm thinking a 2.5-3' x 4-5' table with an 12" wide switchin layout going from one corner to the opposite at a diagonal. in the void (triangle) space i plane on sort of a shadow box display with rail spikes, pieces of cut rail, and some anglebar bolts.. possibly other things. I'm just in brain storming phase, but i'm going to rent out my layout room and this seemed like a pretty cool idea if i can pull off what i have pictured in my mind.
oh, i'll be using walther background buildings..... already have 4 . also shorter cars 40' or so...... I'll post a picture of my sketch as soon as i can.