ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Anyone have a reliable technique for adding electrical pickups (wipers) to brass loco's that use the tender for one of the rail pickups?
I've been adding .125 wire wipers to the backside of the driver wheels, but am not happy with the results.
Steve Carter
Brass wire is a poor choice for making wipers for the back of a driver or tender wheel. A much better material is Phosphor Bronze. Its slightly stiffer and will not wear as fast as the brass.
Check out Tomar Pickup shoes also. A basic kit comes with enough material to mount up to 4 of their shoes to any loco that needs additional pickups.
But I have had to add these types of pickups to very few brass engines over the years.
My mistake, I've been using the phosphor bronze wire. I've also used the Tomar pickup shoes, but they are a little unsightly. I'm hoping someone has another option.
Steve Carter
Really nothing works better that the Tomar track siders and as to them looking ungainly painting them black makes them almost invisible, check my installation where the tops have not yet been painted....you still have to really look to notice them on this brass GN. steamer.
The phosphor bronze wire & tomar pickups are what I would do, though like Carey, I have not had to do this much, only on very short wheelbase locos, like Atlantics.
Thanks for the responses. It's not my loco I'm working on, so I'll present the Tomar shoes as an option.
Steve Carter
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)