Old rusted track attempt...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wombat457

I'm the one
When I read Manatua Mikes "Rust" idea, I had to try it. Spent the last week or so waiting for my steel wool pad to rust down to dust, which finally happened.

This is the result of a first "rusty track" attempt:

Img_0067_zps1af6e907.jpg


Img_0066_zps3ef01468.jpg


Thanks for looking guys, and all comments welcome.
 
Thanks Mike.

The photo makes it look worse, rust wise, than it actually is. It isn't "completely rusted out" ... yet!

Thanks for looking and commenting, appreciate the feedback.
 


Thanks Gentlemen,

Are you planning to run trains over sections of track you've done this to?

Heck no. This was just for looks and to have something a little different on the layout. Truth is, I most likely wont even include a section like this now I have/am converting my track to Peco.

Very nice effect! I'm going to go back and read how it's done!

It really wasn't hard to do. I just did as Manatua Mike said - put a steel wool pad in some for water and left it, draining a little water out each day until the whole thing had rusted away. That took about a week to happen. I then crushed the rusted remains up into a fine powder and sprinkled it over the track before giving it a "light" squirt of PVA/water. If I were to do it again though, I'd probably use something to "place the pva/water exactly where I wanted it, let it dry, the sprinkle more rust ovet the whole thing before giving it a decent squirt, allowing the pva/water to move the rust around a bit.

thats awesome!

Thanks Dudepants. It was fun and easy :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top