Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Mornin'...... er... Afternoon everyone!

Flo, I'll have my usual breakfast for lunch today. Keep the coffee coming. (Put it on "you know who's" bill, OK.)

One rug cleaned, one to go. My cats have been trying to figure out what is going on. They do know that they don't like it one bit! Both of them have been asking for a lot of attention as if to say, "Daddy, I'm scared.......".

A nice cool bright sunny day here in the Finger Lakes today. High will be in the low 70s, humidity only 37%. Read the meters this morning, and found I used almost 300 kW less electric this August compared to a year ago. And, there were two more days in the reading cycle. Got to be happy about that.

Mikey, glad your 'putter is up and running. Hope it stays that way. Ain't Technology great?

Tom, gremlins..............

Larry those price tags make me glad I live on a 1/4 acre lot in the city........... I could buy a couple Ford 8n's, a John Deere B, and a Farmall H for that kinda money. I always think in terms of antie-ques ya know. That reminds me, I have to get my son to move his boat (resting upside down, killing the grass on my side lawn), I probably should mow the lawn sometime in the next couple of weeks........

Have a great day!
 
Evening,,, Flo just a cold milkshake for me,,, just had a jalfrezi chicken curry, and it was HOT STUFF.

Jim no news yet, she's got to go back in a week or so for a resting scan for comparison, they won't say anything till then :(
 
Good afternoon everyone! Flo, I will join Steve with a milkshake, sounds good and make mine chocolate, no vanilla, no ... heck give me one of each. I think most of our rains are about over. We only got around 3.5-4" total and it mostly was just a nice steady shower; not many downpours which made everything seem nice and easy.

Have an MR friend coming over this evening to have some playtime. He just got back from a very wet Florida vacation...should have known better than have it in August, but that was their condo time.

Time to go out to the depot and see what isn't working :rolleyes: .
CUL :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Chris, sounds you and Larry should team up on some tractor purchases. You can use it in the summer for grass and he can use it in the winter to plow snow. Sounds just like a good locomotive type leasing arrangement to me. :)

Steve, some of those curries can rip out your mucous membranes but they sure are good. I'll keep praying that final news on your wife is clean bill of health.

Ray, our cats freaked out so much with the carpet cleaners that we had to lock them in the laundry room. That, and they would have bitten up the hoses. :D

Mikey, computers just don't make sense sometimes. We have four in the house so that way, one will usually work.

Paul, sounds like tough walk without your cane. None of us are getting any younger, you know. I went for several four mile hikes on our men's retreat up in the mountains and my legs are just recoving.

Rex, we've had just a little less than six inches total since Saturday with some more showers today so it was a healthy storm. I'm getting really concerned about Gustav though. If we don't get a high pressure ridge over us soon, there's no way he won't escape into the Gulf and then all bets are off. I'm getting the impression that somewhere between New Orleans and the Florida Panhandle are the most like areas in the cone of uncertainty. Chris, it doesn't look like Gustav will trouble you but there's another one just behind it, Invest 95L, that may give you and the eastern seaboard problems. What really bothers me about Gustav is the rapid intensification, something we didn't see with Fay. He went from a tropical depression to a cat 1 hurricane in 16 hours, which ties the record for the fastest intensification. These are the kind of storms that get into the Gulf and cause big trouble. I hope I'm wrong but I've been watching these thing for 45 years and I usually am not far off the mark. I'll take a big mistake this time and have it go into the Yucatan.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
AAAAAAAAAH! My Free Beer!

WEATHER

It was HOT and HUMID! and very little rain in sight for the next few days!

LOCAL NEWS

Stray cat set to live like queen
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE

Mikey, I hope it fell off! Offer me a beer while i was at work then Drink my beer while I was working:mad: ! That's cold blooded:( Now order me another beer:D

Larry 9K for it was a great deal! A ZTR would have been way more$$.........I'll deliver the tractor for ya!:)........After I put 300 hrs on it:rolleyes: :D

Jim Larrys mower is getting delivered here first. Then when I tire of it i will send it to him!:D
 
I've been doing some light layout work today. The evil 'S' curve at the front of the layout is fixing to go away. As the photo below shows I've already got the deck that'll hold the new track section in place.

P1010135.jpg


After I've marked off the areas where the ends of the new section will marry into the existing track I'll cut out the offending section, trim the ends, put a piece of half inch foam down on the new deck and install the new track section. Here's a photo showing the new section set in to show what I'm going to do.

Any lovers of 'S' curves speak now or forever hold your peace.

P1010136.jpg
 
Ah, Bill? Sweet, sweet, sweet! Thanks, I needed that.

I spent most of the day installing a remote thingy for a torti. The directions say 3/4 the way through to "relax, your almost done. It will take longer to read the directions than to finish the install". Maybe so, unless the part that actually turns the turnout points is in a completely impossible place to get your hands in place and your eyes where you can see it......... at the same time. Poor planing seems to be something I excel at.............. It is done, works perfectly, and next time I will have a better idea of what I am doing. Photos some time in the future......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The new track section is in place. Now for the ticklish part. The areas where the rails were cut is fairly difficult to get at to cut under the rail ends. So I'm having a spot of bother getting rail joiners in there. What I'm going to do is simply this. I'll clamp the rail ends in place so they line up precisely with each other and solder a piece of iron wire across each rail joint on the outside edge of the rail. After the area is ballasted it'll hardly be noticeable. Have I done this before? Yes. How many times? Twice, and that was many years ago.

P1010139.jpg
 


Hey, hey, hey...... Two new videos of Diesel Days at the Rochester and Genesee Valley RR Museum is up on line. The first one shows the two diesels and their crummies moving on our 2 mile long demo line. There is a very quick shot of me standing on the PC caboose right at the end. (I'm the old guy with the beard covering up the triple chins.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUwvsEdMzXI

This one is the Trolley operation at the other end of the line at the New York Museum of Transportation. Visitors started there, rode the trolley to the transfer point, got on the train and rode that down to our museum. At the end of their stay they rode back up the line, took the trolley to where they were parked. This is the first yuear that trolleys have transported people to the transfer point. Newly installed poles and catenary made it possible (We used to use track cars.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhxglWlhwxY

Enjoy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I now have the rail ends soldered together and I just ran a test train made up of my pickiest loco and cars over the area and they worked flawlessly. I label this project a success.
 
Bill, nice picture indeed. Running the year after I was born with an old NKP way car behind the Consolidation. Must have been on a transfer run somewhere.

Ray, nothing you need to add after trackwork and scenery is in place will ever be easy to reach. I think there's some kind of law that overs that, like the one about your layout blowing up whenever you have visitors. :) Nice videos. You can tell you've got some really sharp curves when even a trolley ahs that much flange squeal.

Jeffrey, I know you're proud of your project but have some mercy on the dial-up users and only post the photos in one thread.
 
Jeffrey, I know you're proud of your project but have some mercy on the dial-up users and only post the photos in one thread.
Sorry about that. I get carried away sometimes.


Good morning.

It's 75 and mostly clear here. The high should be in the mid 90's and it will be mostly cloudy.

Yesterday was a productive day. I put nickel silver wheels in my Athearn SD9 and I tore out an annoying 'S' curve on the layout and laid a new section of track that's decidely less problematic. The old section put a big strain on the couplers of some of my stiffer cars that don't have much coupler movement (Genesis cars mostly) and on some of my stiffer locomotives as well. I started the project at about 6:10 pm with the tear-out and had the new section in and operational before 9:30 pm. There's still much work to be done but the hardest part is behind me now.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/27/2008

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 78°F
Low: 74°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 95 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P1010129.jpg
 
Morning everybody,

This is my last week before the Back-To-School Madness begins and I'll be spending most of my 'free' time doing Dads Taxi Service. All good things gotta come to an end, including summer vacations *sigh*...

Ray - excellent videos, looks like a great time was had by all!

Jeffrey - I need to do some track re-org on my own layout as well, I'm just trying to get some operation time in while the trainroom is somewhat clean. BTW - maybe if you just posted links to your photos here instead of embedding them, that would make things easier on us bandwidth-challenged patrons...;)

Bill - great vintage photo of that NKP, I'm sure Koester would drool over it!:D

Rex - Are you referring to your MRR friend who used to live in Maryland? Sure wish I coulda met him while was there...

Jim - I've been following your thread on RF scanners. I sure wish I had the funding for one of those right now, but after paying for a new radiator in the Durango, I don't think the CFO would be too pleased to see me putting one of those on the credit card. I need to wait until I have some real money in the checking account!

Gotta run, C-U later
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It was 58 F as I hit the road this morning. High today will be 79 F. it looks like we could have another no air conditioner day. We had one until last night around 8:30 PM. At that time the plane spraying for mosquitoes flew over head and we had to close the windows. Since our area has been a hotbed for West Nile encephalitis the state DEP decided that they needed to do something about the mosquitoes.

No modeling last night. I came home yesterday and found my son and his friend with the O-scale trains spread out over the living room floor.

Tonight is one of those crazy nights. My son has to have his ID photo taken for football. We also have our last Cub Scout summer Pack Meeting at the same time. I will be running back and forth between the two all night.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning to everyone!
Flo- a cup of strong black coffee to go this morning, please.

No major problems this morning, except for Chris.

He's going to make me give up drinking beer.:eek:
Just because I was doing him a favor to get rid of his warm beer yesterday.
I know, with friends like me, who needs enemies.:o

Chris- we will just have to get together another time to make sure your beer is cold... and drunk only by you.:D

Gotta run, catch y'all later.
Mikey
 
Mornin' everyone!

Today is furniture moving day again...... Have to move everything back into the dining room/ office room and then move everything that isn't nailed down out of the living room. Tomorrow the cleaning guy will be back. He is actually an old friend, fellow teacher (elem. phys ed), and one of my son's favorite coaches (cross country and track). We get to talking shop and nothing gets done...................

Hey Mikey, I will be going to a family picnic (my late wife's family) tomorrow evening. I'll tip a cold one in your honor.

Tom remember Scouting is only an hour a week....... Yeah, right!

Ken, yes it was a lot of fun. The operations crews were dead tired by 6PM, a lot of stress to make sure everything was done safely. But, a lot of "High Fives" being given out by e-mail to everyone who worked the weekend.

Gotta run. my son is on his way over to help move some stuff.
 


Ray- thanks for the kind offer to tip one in my honor.

Please limit it to one cold one for me.
"We" don't want to become too tipsey that we cannot drive.:D
Mikey
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top