Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Data on Gustav

Storm Path:
Date: Aug. 29, 2008
Time: 8:00 p.m. ET
Winds: 80 mph
Strength: Cat. 1
Direction: Moving northwest near 11 mph
Latitude: 19.3 N
Longitude: 80 W
 
Chris, I really do need to get that tree thinned and topped. I'm sure it's never had any thinning since it was planted and it's a good 60' high now. I'm surprised I only lost one small limb during Fay.

Rex, Prattville has to play St Xavier in Cincinnati Saturday night. Compared to Prattville, the Tide has a real good chance of beating Clemson. :)

Gustav is now about 50 miles east of Grand Cayman and is undergoing a rapid intensification cycle. It is now a cat 2 with sustained winds of 100 mph and gusts of 125 mph. I'm afraid the Caymans are about to get flattened again, just after they had finally recovered from the effects of Ivan four years ago. :( It looks like Gustav will reach Cat 3 status just before landfall tomorrow in Cuba. Current models call for slight weakening over Cuba then another rapid intensification cycle while in the middle of the Gulf, bringing him up to a cat 4. After that, the models keep wanting to push him west, with a few wanting to take him to Brownsville. Some other models are still targeting New Orleans and all the models have moved 50-75 miles east or west during the last few model runs so landfall anywhere on the Gulf Coast is still possible. I don't know if we have any members who live within 40 miles of the coast but, if so , they should be preparing to evacuate tomorrow. Gustav may either speed up or slow down and waiting until Sunday could be a big mistake. The models also want to take Gustav as a tropical storm all the way to the Tex-Ark-La border so those of you in that area should get ready for heavy rains, wind, and tornados. I'm sure hoping we have a better handle on where Gustav is going by tomorrow afternoon since everyone along the Gulf Coast is sitting on pins and needles.
 
08-30-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 


Rolled out of bed and into the car for this early morning shot 6201 Cumbrian Mountain Express It was supposed to be on the down fast line but came on the down slow right next to the bridge i was on,,, Still fantastic though

Rex how's the teeth doing, hope they are settling in well, So,,, the mayor can evacuate 30,000, and the poor guy's who are not on the "A" list get to swim out,,, check out the rich guy on this video who steals a poor womans life jacket as the ship is sinking
 
Good morning.

It's 77 and clear. The high will be in the upper 90's and it will be mostly cloudy. There's a small chance of thunderstorms.
Please excuse the slightly different layout of data. Our weather monitor seems to have a gremlin in it this morning.

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From ENE at 3 mph
Humidity: 88%
Pressure: 29.95 in.
Dew Point: 71°F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Gustav Data

Date: Aug. 30, 2008
Time: 5:00 a.m. ET
Winds: 110 mph
Strength: Cat. 2
Direction: Moving WNW at 10 mph
Latitude: 20.2 N
Longitude: 81.3 W


Today High: 98 Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 90s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds around 5 mph.

P1010135.jpg
 
New Orleans is being evacuated. Tourist have to be out by noon.

Good decision. I sure hope they get everyone out this time......

Mornin' everyone!

The sun is busy shining up here in the North Country. Currently 70°F with a high of 77° in the Finger Lakes today.

I guess I need to get to work on the speakers from camp that have been sitting in the back of the pickup since Sci Tek Camp. Finally have a plan to get them put back together. Hope I can get it to work. I really don't want to donate $1000 worth of speakers to them (so that the staff can destroy them.....). I also want to finish up some work on the layout today.

Flo, I have a short stack of pancakes with a side of bacon this morning. What? Of course, keep the coffee coming!

Hope you all have a safe and pleasant day!
 
Good Morning ALL ! From sunny Western New York , Looks like another warm summer's day on this wonderful Labor Day Weekend. Flo I just need some coffee, apple juice and Texas toast and I'm on my way out to cut the grasss before it gets to hot . Hope you all have a real nice Satruday!
 
Steve, very funny about the life jacket. :) Nice train too.

Jeffrey, I'm glad to see New Orleans finally taking some action. The best decision they've made is not to allow a mass shelter in the city. That will do more to move people out than anything else. Trying to shelter people from flooding in a city below sea level is hopeless.

Ray, I hope you don't spend too much time on speakers that the staff will ultimately destroy anyway. I sometimes think that non-profits would be better of paying for more things instead of getting them donated. They'd have a little more incentive to see that the stuff was taken care of.

Paul, have fun with the grass. Since we've had all the rain, the lawns have started sprout mushrooms in profusion. No one seems to know if they are any good to eat. I wish I could find out because I probably have a couple of hundred in my lawn right now.

Gustav is moving away from the Caymans and headed toward the Isle of Youth in Cuba as a cat 3 hurricane. It looks like the Caymans lucked out as Gustav went just north of the islands and they felt the effects of the weaker south side of the storm. Lots of trees down but not much structural damage.

Gustav should cross the Isle of Youth and then the far western tip of Cuba tonight. It may weaken very slightly but will undergo another rapid intensification cycle after getting back out into the Gulf, and should be a cat 4 by tomorrow morning. The models are now starting to tighten up, with landfall sometime around noon Tuesday 50 miles on either side of Morgan City, Louisiana, as a cat 3 hurricane. This still puts New Orleans at risk depending on how high the storm surge is and how slow Gustav is moving. Those of you in Florida and the east coast now need to keep an eye on Tropical Storm Hanna, which is likely to turn into a hurricane later next week and be a direct threat to the east coast of Florida.

Edit: The latest reports from the hurricane hunters at 1:20 pm EDT now put the maximum winds of Gustav at 125 mph with gusts to 140. This puts him as a category 4 hurricane so the rapid intensification cycle is occuring even earlier than expected. If he can maintain category 3 strength over Cuba, he will probably reach category 5 by tomorrow afternoon. This may change the path and threat level to the Gulf Coast, since hurricanes this large tend to create their own deep low pressure system that can reduce the steering effects of other pressure systems. Stay tuned.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! Just a note before our ball game company arrives.

Chris: I went ahead a put out some fertilizer today, betting on some rain next week with or without Gustav's help.

Jim: Don't know what kind of grass your lawn has, but a good shade grass might be the answer as well. The expensive St. Augustine or Centipede will grow well under trees if they have at least some light and have good nutrients added to put back what the tree steals from them. They are both spreaders with runners and will go everywhere, but they provide a very lush and bouncy carpet. NOTE: If you try these, don't go the seed route, sprig or sod instead. It takes 2 years for the Centipede seed to come up. I screwed up a new yard once thinking the seed was bad. I took my tractor and plowed in up and planted Bermuda. Two years later, every place that I couldn't get with the tractor had a nice thick covering of Centipede:( :D .
BTW: My Uniden scanner will be here mid week. ;)

Steve: The new teeth are doing well. I still have to get use to such a strange thing in my mouth, but I have been eating most everything...carefully;) . There will be more adjustments needed as my gum shape changes; this not a big deal and only taking a few minutes at the Dentist. I should add that I feel for those that have whole dentures and had to get used to them. That has to be super frustrating.
 


Done been to Alexandria and back. Picked up a package of 40 Kadee #5 couplers, a Genesis Trinity covered hopper and a Bachmann remote left turnout.

The evacuation from the southern part of the state seems to be in full swing. The southbound lanes of hwy 171 through Leesville had almost no traffic while the traffic in the northbound lanes was insane!
 
Happy Three Day Weekend To Everyone!

WEATHER
8 AM 78 °F Partly Cloudy partly cloudy
2 PM 92 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Scattered thunderstorms.
10 PM 81 °F Partly Cloudy Partly cloudy with a few showers.
60% chance of rain!
Local Radar: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...d=708A4D62E929917B1D9EFF3EE341D0FC?pageId=9.1

LOCAL NEWS
Nudist denied visits with grandchildren
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Investigators: husband killed trying to defend wife
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE
"Flo, I'll have a 30oz. T bone Medium Rare (I want it Mooing on my plate!), Large baked Potato with butter, sour cream, Bacon bits and chives. also steamed mixed vegies, and bring the cold beer and never let the glass empty! also to round it of Large slice of peach pie ala mode and a cup of coffee.......Then call me a Taxi!:D Put it on Rex's, Jim's and anyone else I answered lawn qusetions for Tab!;) Thanks Guys!:D"

"Happy Three Day Weekend!"

Well guy's, I got my yards done around oneish today, and not a second to soon! It started to rain right after I got every thing loaded in to the trailer on my last lawn!:) The money was spent on Gas for the next week for back and fourth from the park! My son Tried out last week for Football! Well he got in, Not sure what pos. he will play I'm sure it will be defence! He never played football before but, the booger has put fourth the most effort i have ever seen him do!:D :D I didn't get to watch practice today but, my wife did! She told me the kids had a hell of a time trying to plant his butt in the ground!:D :D when he got his equipment thursday, I had to laugh, he looked like a purple Sponge Bob!LOL's He was as wide as he was tall:rolleyes: :D :p I hope he sticks with it, he could be a good lineman if just keeps on keeping on! I'll Try to get a Pic' of Sponge Bob Monday to share with you! "Go Bobcats!"

Rex, Glad to hear you fertilized you lawn, I'm sure if it could talk it would thank you!

Larry, where's your tractor?I thought you were lending it to me?;) :rolleyes:

Jim, Thining and topping your tree is the way to go! the Grass will quickly recover under it with a little food and Love!;) :rolleyes:

Mikey, Come help me drink these beers!:D we got a Taxi Comming!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gustav data:

Date: Aug. 30, 2008
Time: 8:00 p.m. ET
Winds: 150 mph
Strength: Cat. 4
Direction: Moving northwest near 15 mph
Latitude: 22.7 N
Longitude: 83.4 W
 
Uh, Jim: What was that you were saying?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alabama 34 Clemson 10
hehehehehehe

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Rex, its ROLL TIDE ROLL!

They, the broadcasters, started the night with how this was gonna be a close game.
After the first quarter it was how Alabama
was working its defense well, JP seem comfortable.
At the third quarter it was TOTAL DOMINATION! by Bama on both sides of the ball. Clemson was supposed to be the ACC's best this year.

Did not get figure at end of game, but with 3:30 left in 4th Quarter it was.

Alabama 423 Total Yards.:D Clemson 149 Total Yards:mad:
Alabama Time of Possession 38:58 :DClemson 15:08:mad:
Alabama # of plays 78:D Clemson 37:mad:

The station here didn't give the game summary but it was a domination like the Bama teams of old! If their freshmen corps continues to play like this, Auburn and the rest may have their hands full.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll take my crow served medium-well, please. :) Either Clemson is vastly overrated or Alabama really does have a good team this year. A lot of folks in Vegas lost money on that one.

On a sad note, Prattville's winning streak came to the end at 30 games with a 15-10 loss to St. Xavier in Cincinnati. St. X is one of the top rated high schools in the country and Prattville came in as huge underdogs but had the lead until the fourth quarter and just couldn't pull off another touchdown. :(

On a happier note, the Cal Bears beat Michigan in another upset. :D

Gustav continues to plow along in the Gulf and should be up to a cat 5 by noon tomorrow. I'm starting to get a mite nervous as each model run pulls him a little more east. I don't think he will get any further east than the mouth of the Mississippi but landfall there as a cat 4 or strong cat 3 will be another flooding disaster for New Orleans. I hope the people are really leaving this time.
 
Good morning.

It's 77 and mostly clear. The high is expected to be in the mid 90's with a chance of thunderstorms.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/31/2008


Heat Index: 81°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 81°F
Low: 76°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NE

As of 4 a.m. CDT, Gustav was centered about 425 miles southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River, moving northwest at 16 mph. Along the northern Gulf Coast, a hurricane warning is in effect from east of Cameron, Louisiana, to the Alabama/Florida border, including Lake Pontchartrain and the City of New Orleans.

Click link to see weather map.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/map_huralrt07_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x.jpg

Today High: 95 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts to around 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 75 Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph after midnight.

Click link to see today's photo.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010002.jpg
 
Afternoon gent's
flo,,, I'll have me one of those T bones Chris is having, just cut the horns off and wipe it's ass and that do just fine for me !!!

Went out with the boys for a bit of late night steam train watching, 6201 came back well after dark last night, it was fantastic listening to it working very hard up the grade with fine spark's shooting up the stack, brilliant.

Roll Tide roll ;) you Bama boys did good
 


I know Jeff's already posted it but here is more detail from the Hurricane Center as of 10:00AM CST on Gustav:

"A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTHERN GULF COAST
FROM CAMERON LOUISIANA EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER…
INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN. A
HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM EAST OF THE
ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER TO THE OCHLOCKONEE RIVER….AND FROM WEST OF
CAMERON LOUISIANA TO JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND TEXAS. A TROPICAL
STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEST OF CAMERON LOUISIANA
TO JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND TEXAS. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT
HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA…GENERALLY
WITHIN 36 HOURS.":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

My wife and I went thru Hurricane Frederic in 1979 in Mobile. We've had brushes with several others. I don't even want to be near this thing!

One of the ARG boys, Jim Mc., is coming over today to work on the layout with me. Hope to get Burnsville in and Fulton finished. Hope it doesn't start up with some convective showers, I don't want to have to do any wood cutting in the garage.

After all this, we'll be B-B-Q-ing outside, rain or shine. My son works in one of the better local restaurants and has learned some tricks and is turning into quite a chef himself. When he cooks for his Mom and me, it has always been awesome. Last time it was steaks marinaded in merlot wine, red and green bellpeppers, potatoes, carrot sticks and some "special" seasoning. After being used as a marinade, this mixture was boiled until everything was cooked and their were the veggies. Cooked on the BBQ grill made it even better. I don't know what he used but the steaks were so tender we didn't need knives to cut them apart. Today its gonna be beer brats with some more "special" seasoning as part of the mixture. Of course Jim will benefit from this as well. Gotta pay the help some way! Aren't ya jealous!!!:p:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top