Nostalgia..What do you remember

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I remember when sin was still considered sin, and not simply a lifestyle choice.
I remember when Coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be..
[video=youtube;eFHJ41ktt3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHJ41ktt3Q[/video]
 
I remember my mom always leaving the car keys in the ignition so she'd know where to find them.
I never had a house key, but I knew I could always get into the house no matter what time I came home, because the front door was never locked. The only time it was ever locked was when our family would go out of town on a trip to see relatives.
I remember if you needed something from the store on a Sunday, you were out of luck, because nothing was open.
I fondly remember growing up in small town America.
[video=youtube;_uiW5LEbmlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uiW5LEbmlk[/video]

What a pity we have 'progressed' so much since then.:(
 
One of my favorite sounds came on summer nights when 4-engine Lockheed Constellations would fly over our hill range and the slight prop-synch error would make a difference beat modulation to the prop engine sounds. It's a difficult sound to explain but I sure miss that.
 


I remember....

Listening to Buck Rodgers on radio after school.
Standing on the seat in front of my dad and driving our Ford pickup when I was about three.
Having my dad's Harley fall on me. It was my fault, they were having a party, I went to the yard and climbed on, it had been raining...
My first movie in a theater: invaders from Mars.
Getting bitten by a rabid dog the very next day.
I remember riding the train from Fort Worth to Birmingham through New Orleans.

but most of all I remember driving from Fort Worth to Birmingham, beside a big beast of a steam engine. Huge black beast, it was alive with steam and moving parts. Going about 50mph. The road ran beside the tracks for miles and my dad kept pace with it. It was beautiful and I sat looking out the side window, with my head on my arms, looking at it....and I've loved trains ever since.
 
Going back to the 40's and early 50's, if you wanted turn signals, they were optional, and usually installed by the dealer.

One of my hobbies id restoring classic cars and I have a couple out in my shop that I had to add the turn signals to. Today I am pretty well out of the new car market. I can't find anything that I like that doesn't come with the touch screens that are being put in almost all new cars except for some basic models. I have ridden in and driven cars with this feature and hate the touch screens. I refuse to pay for features that I don't want or need, so I guess I'll save myself a lot of money. Here's one of my daily drivers, when the weather is good.

I agree that new cars are loaded with useless stuff, all guaranteed to break at some point and all costing the earth to fix. After a lot of research, I recently bought a 2004 Toyota Solara ragtop. Lots of power (which I mostly don't use), top goes up and down in 30 seconds, auto or manual shift, pretty good handling. Not as pretty as the E Type I sold, but the E Type went for $45,000 and the Solara cost me $10,000, and it seats four and it's waterproof.
 
Smuggling a couple friends into a Drive In movie in the trunk. The "Hub" drive in was near our house.
 
thanks for the memorys guys, i remember most of that stuff and sad to say im not a fan of what the world has become. i feel so sorry for kids of the future
 
Romper Room, The Mickey Mouse Club (for us Mouseketeers). On Sat. mornings before "Space Ghost" came on I would watch this guy teaching mathematics/algebra. At age 4 or 5, my interest in mathematics was born.

As already mentioned, I also remember the S&H Greeen stamps and the Blue Chips and gas wars with prices under 20 cents a gal.

I remember thinking what an odd-looking thing that was - referring to the first time I saw a Webber kettle grill my Uncle Max had.
Listening to Arthur Godfrey on the radio while out fishing with Grandpa.

How about these 2:
1) walking to school when you are in the first grade
2) "duck and cover" drills done weekly in case of nuclear attacks

I was born in 1960 so the space program was a big thing and always a treat whenever they televised a launch.
E.
 
howdy doody, sky king, bela lagosi, in the house when street lights came on, riding bicycle with neighbor kids behind the mosquito truck( ya i know not to bright) , playing with metal toy soldiers in a fresh dirt pile and useing dirt clods for hand grenades, they made a white dust cloud as they knocked over troops. shame wars arent fought that way too
 


Our playground was a dirt pile on the edge of our yard, we had a bunch of Tonka trucks and I had a dirt business (you think?)
 
Beany & Cecil!! Who remembers Diver Dan and the string puppet fish? How about Clutch Cargo or Scott McCloud-Space Angel?

IN DC we had some local kiddy show stars too. Cap'n Tugg played Popeye cartoons, Ranger Hal ran cartoons and had a puppet rabbit named Oswald, Pick Temple did a cowboy show, and Willard Scott was Bozo. He also created Ronald McDonald but never made any $ because he was 'under contract' so they claimed it as their property. Bill Gormely did the Countdown Carnival, and we have Dick Dyzel who was Capt 20 and Count Gore DeVol, hosting all those monster movies.
 
y3a you sound fairly close to me, im in fredericksburg. we had a guy that ran popeye cartoons his name was sailor bob and he came in the hospital to visit kids when i was in 4th grade, i had pnuemonia.
 
Y3a were those monster movies on channel 7 at 4pm?

Those were on between 1962 and 1970! For a while they even ran Laurel & Hardy shorts. I think Pete Jamerson was the host.
I first saw Godzilla, Mothra, Giant Beheamoth and Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms on that show!
I had had a bad experience in 1958 when my uncle showed me Creature Form the Black Lagoon and I had nightmares for a few months.
It started my interest in special effects and I'm pretty smart about that stuff now. I even do some stop motion and high speed stuff as one of my hobbies.
 
y3a you sound fairly close to me, im in fredericksburg. we had a guy that ran popeye cartoons his name was sailor bob and he came in the hospital to visit kids when i was in 4th grade, i had pnuemonia.
I lived in Alexandria until 1963, moved to Springfield. Now I live in Sterling. I used to work at Action Hobbies in Burke Va.
 
I watched those movies! I must have used a case of aluminum foil over the years trying to get a picture I could half see on our little black and white tv in southeastern Baltimore county!
 
Forgot about Howdy Doody - which by the way, also starred Bob Keeshan a.k.a Captain Kangaroo. Another favorite!
So, how could we forget Mr. Rogers?
Howdy Doody was before my time. I do remember watching Captain Kangaroo. Occasionally he and Mr. Green Jeans would have a model train on the show. That was the only reason I watched. Mr. Rogers was after my time.
 


I had a paper route. They had to be delivered 6 days a week, no matter the weather. I made 90 cents a day, and hated to go on vacation because I had to pay my replacement $1 a day. Made BIG bucks, though. Enough to buy a bike, a drum set, a component stereo system, a mini-bike and who knows how much candy. A can of locally-bottled soda cost 9 cents.

"Helped" a Milwaukee Road repair crew one summer. They let me ride on the platform of the caboose and blow the "Q" when they'd back across a grade crossing. The engine was an very sad-looking F unit.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top