I wasn't referring necessarily to the judges, just modelers sharing techniques with each other.
I wasn't either, but the modelers were a lot more forthcoming if they didn't think you'd take their technique and "use it against them" next year.
You have to understand the climate we had in the contest at that time (1981) in our region. When I came into office, the last 3 winners of the best in show award were judges. How do you think that looks in a small region like ours was then? The room also was closed, and I heard the whispers about the judges had already picked all the winners before judging even started. A few years before, the contest chairman got up at the banquet, announced the best in show winner, then said no other model was good enough to win
anything.
Starting that year no judge could enter any model in any contest he was judging in. And since the contests were then and still are a part of the AP Program, all ribbons for 1st, 2nd, third, and HM would be awarded. The real recognition would come via the Merit Awards any model that got above 87.5 pts would earn.
The next year came the comment sheets, then in 1985, I instituted open room judging. All I asked was that no contest entrant try to "point out" things on the model without a judge first asking a question. When I left the chair in 1992, many of these "reforms" were begining to be tried on the National level.
...but the #1 and #2 issues were not kitbashing but conformity and contemporary modeling. That's why RPM was originally MPM, for Modern Prototype Modelers.
I can see conformity being an issue, as at least the national has raised the points for that, and redifined the rules. I however, can't see contemporary being a issue as there was never a "division" in the contest that defined eras. An engine or car was judged strictly on what a modeler did to build it. Not for what era. An engine or car from the 1860's had the same chance to "win" as an engine or car from the 1920's, 1950's, 1980's. I do remember that scratchbuilding may have been a part as well? The NMRA contests at that time emphasized that over everything but construction. When you start with an Athearn SD40-2, the scratchbuilding points could be low.
The creation of MPM, and subsequently RPM as more people got involved from all eras may have been precipitated over contest issues, but things have changed a lot since then. When I got on board, the main RPM thing was the NMRA national, and the RPM room still had a popular vote contest. Now the main RPM thing is individually hosted meets all over the place. I have literally lost track of all of them. Cocoa Beach, Savannah, LRM, St. Louis, New England, Bay Area, WPM, Naperville, Pittsburgh... some annual, some just whenever they can happen. NONE of these meets have contests anymore! WPM was the last, and it was dropped when it was realized that only about 20% of the displayed models were entered, and most people didn't vote and almost nobody paid any attention to who won.
You know, I can actually say that I can understand why the RPM contest died. I "entered" a model in Eugene in 1987, {Joe Delia, (sp) took my card and put it by the model,} and another at Birmingham in 1988. I got a honorable mention at Eugene, and another in B'ham. There was no indication on the display cards who got what, popular vote or not. I was told only when I picked up the model. In talking to some of the folks who entered, at least from my area, during those weeks at Eugene and Birmingham, they would have liked some kind of recognition, other than an "Attaboy!", for the work they had done on the model. I did enjoy the "show and tell" aspect of the meet and encouraged that during my stint, but the show and tell never has really caught on here.
What has evolved is a completely different culture. This is why most RPMers aren't interested in coming back to the NMRA contest even if they did change the rules. There are still people who do both.
I'm not going to proclaim that RPM is better than the NMRA contest, or that the models are better. Just that it's clearly better for me, and for those who continue to show up and bring hundreds of models.
You must do, Andy, what you enjoy, not what someone's else idea of the hobby is. That's why I have always said that there is no correct way to model railroad. What you do to enjoy the hobby may not work for me, but we're both enjoying it. Who's "wrong?" answer,
no one.
I have suggested several times that the NMRA should have a big "show n' tell" room. I believe it has been done at some local/regional levels. It doesn't have to be prototype only. Someplace where paperwork isn't required, no judging is done, and conversation is encouraged rather than admonished ("Shhhhh! They're judging!!). I can't promise I'd come to a national convention just for that, but I'm more likely to do it than a contest.
FWIW "Shhhh! They're judging!", wasn't allowed here while I was chair. Conversation among the attendees/entrants was encouraged. But as I earlier said, don't talk to the judges unless they ask you a question first. They're too busy talking among them selves about the models when judging to even notice the room noise.
We have tried to have a "show and tell" room here in the SER, but its never been a real success. Seems most of the members here want the recognition that a merit award, not a ribbon or plaque, (although they are nice too), gives them. We have always pushed the AP program here, and we get a lot of participation in it.
...I had to smack people away from picking up the models. I've heard many variants on this comment: "You aren't selling these? and it's not a contest? then why are you here?"
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!
IMO those that have to ask don't get it and never will. I'm not interested in those people. I've never been interested in converting anybody, just meeting like minded others - and the best way to do that is to reveal my own mind and see what it attracts. I must admit, it was slow going. I began displaying models in 1979, and I didn't get anyone outside my family to join up with me until 1994. In 1995 I went to my first national, and my first RPM room. Later that year my first Naperville seminar, and so on. This came about because I began going on line (in 1988) and posting to boards and forums, and I found that there *were* a lot of like-minded others around the world.
Andy
If they have to ask, then in my mind, its they don't know, not they don't get it. This
is the time when you explain what's going on. I've done this at different local, regional, and even a couple of national events. You get a lot more people becoming interested, in finding more out about the hobby, and even possibly becoming a model railroader. Maybe even getting excited enough to join the NMRA! Any time is the right time to promote the hobby.
But that doesn't make what
you do anymore correct than what
I do, and never will. You're enjoying yourself in a manner that pleases you, and I'm doing the same.

