ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I recently decided to start building a N gauge layout. I have the room finally, although somewhat limited. That's why I decided on N. So, it has been many years since I was involved in trains and am wanting to be sure I do things correctly. I see a number of manufacters of track, most of which have been around for quite a while. What brands and type of track would you recomened? I like the type with intergated roadbed. I have used flex track once with HO and wasn't overly impressed with how it laid or the joints. and want to avoid a repeat of that. I would think N would be harder to get right than HO.
Any comments or hints and tips would be helpful. Also, I live a long way for any hobby shops, so I'll be shopping via the internet. I have been involved in other modeling hobbies so I am aware of the usual sources of stuff like Horizon and Tower which both carry train stuff, but may not be their speciality. Where else?
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! And welcome back into the hobby
There are several manufactures offering track, but only a couple that offer what is called "Ez-Track" or track that has roadbed pre-attached. I believe this is the kind of track you are looking for. It is easy to connect with locking pins but it does not look all that prototypical and can look rather toyish. However, if this does not concern you, then it will work just fine. I know there are plenty of modelers out there that still use the roadbed molded track and love it, my personal preferences are with Walthers Turnouts & Central Valley Ties with Mirco Engineering Rail.
As far as N scale goes, I know Atlas has their own version of molded roadbed track, they call it "Tru-Track" and there are several different track pieces available including switches, different lengths of straights, and different radius of curved track.
Bachman makes their "E-Z Track" in N scale as well with all the same variations as the Atlas Track
I think there is one other manufacture that makes molded roadbed track but I cannot think of who it is off the top of my head right now. Either of the two above manufactures can provide you with what you are looking for though
Hope this helps,
Hi Gouda, welcome and here's your bundle. (we all bundle) (per goofy commercial on TV).
I use altas code-80 N scale track....but you want roadbed track. Kato-unitrack roadbed track is super popular and not cheap....pricey pricey, but excellent say its users. Atlas has its code 65 truetrack with built-in roadbed. Might be a bit less $$....not sure. Not too many folks talking about it on forums....at least I've not heard anything. Then Bachmann Easy-Track some say is not the best....yet should be adequate to start....AND I hear it can be had for NOT MUCH $$ if you look around. Almost every hobby shop in my area, even if they don't sell trains, has a box of old bachmann easy-track someone dropped off to try and get a couple bucks for on consignment. Yesterday on this site someone mentioned they found brand new bachmann switches in the package for $5 on closeout at their local hobby shop.
Here are my two favorite online vendors with best prices and customer service. Dave at Yardsale Trains in Castlerock Colorado has only N scale, only previously owned equipment:
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/
http://yardsaletrains.com/index.php
Mike
The other manufacture I was thinking of was Kato, they also make what they call Unitrack, and just like Atlas & Bachman they have several different variations of track available
My reasoning with using the molded roadbed track, was that my previous experience with HO flextrack was not good. I found it hard to trim and also to get smooth transistions between it, itself or turnouts etc. Has there been improvements in tools or whatever to make that work better? I also found it hard to attach to roadbed. I may have not used the correct process, but didn't know better at the time.
I dont think there has really be any improvements in any tools available for track-laying with Flex-Track. I would suggest however getting yourself a pair of flush-cutters and rail-nippers. These are 2 tools that can not only be used for cutting rails and the ties of the track, but can also be used for kit building along with many other uses with model railroading.
Other then that, a soldering gun is also useful with flextrack. To make a curve, solder two or more pieces of flex-track together using rail joiners (and cutting a tie or two off the ends of each piece of flex-track too allow for the joiner to slide onto the rail) and solder them together. That way when you make your curve that joint between the two pieces of track cant bend or kink in any way and you will get a nice smooth flowing turn.
There are also track template tools which can help you form the flextrack into a curve, or help you lay 2 tracks parallel with each other.
As far as securing the track to roadbed, I would suggest using cork or foam roadbed and gluing the track directly too it. Use thumb tacks or pins of some kind to hold the track down and in place while the glue dies, especially on curves.
Kato Unitrack is an excellent choice for you Gouda. I've been using Unitrack in N scale for over 12 years now. You can see photo's of my layout, the "new" JJJ&E on my website below. The layout is in a room 21x12'. The "new JJJ&E is a ""U" shaped around the room layout and I'm in my fourth year of building this layout. All the Unitrack on the layout has been weathered and ballasted and is completely wired. The layout has 75 switches/turnouts.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)