Newbie Question: Has anyone used an Atlas H0 CODE 83 TRACK LAYOUTS?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


tim1966

New Member
I am just getting into this and have been spending days reading and doing research and reading a lot of posts on this site. I went to the Atlas site and they had these track layout packages, not cheap by any means, but for a newbie to get up and running would one of these work? If not I was going to go with HO code 83 flex track, I was reading today how to stagger the splicing joints so you don't get a kink in the rail and it sounded good.

Any thoughts? Thanks
 
Code 83 track package.

I used one and had no complaints. Code 83 is nice and looks great. For a first timer I think its a good idea. Solder most of the joiners. BTW you will eventually use some flex track and that will take some getting use to also. Look at this first step as a learning project. This wont be your last layout and you learn from each.
Wayne
 
I am not going to use the track packages, but I am going to use the track plan with a few modifications. I am going to use mostly flex track and custom line switches in place of the snap switches. I will be adding about 2 1/2 to 3 feet in length to the Granite Gorge and Southern.

I too feel it is a good way to get all of the track in one bundle. That way you do not have to worry if you get the right stuff.

What track plan are you thinking about?


Buzz.
 


Thank-you Wayne and Buzz for the replies. Buzz, no I have not decided on a track plan yet, I looked at all the plans and by the time I was done I was cross eyed looking at all those lines going every which way:D
 
I have Atlas C83 flex and turnouts on my shelf switcher. I've had no problems.

Sidenote: I use Peco TOs on my N-scale roundy-round. Don't much care for Atlas N-scale TOs.
 
Stay away from the Snap Switches! The geometry of the diverging rail is an 18" radius. If all you have is small motive power and rolling stock, you can get by with them. 6 axle diesels and larger steam will not be very happy about them, though.
Go with the Custom Line turnouts. The geometry is much easier on larger equipment. Using a them in ready made Atlas plan that calls for Snap Switches will cause some problems, though, as the track will no longer line up properly. There are people here that could help you modify a plan, though. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top