ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully maybe get some pointers on some good getting started info. My name is Matt and I'm from extreme SE Michigan--currently a very small town named Ida, but about to move into Monroe. I'm in my early 40's, married with a pre-teen daughter, and professionally I'm a software developer. I'm just getting started in model railroading though I did I dabble in it some in my early teens until I got bit by the car bug. Stuck with that for 13-14 years or so until I got married and then moved on to a pretty serious hobby woodworking addiction for the last 14 years. We've sold our house with a separate outbuilding on 10 acres and bought a slightly bigger house much closer to our daughter's school and activities, but the new house is on 1/3 of an acre with a 12x12 shed for an outbuilding. I decided I didn't want to move to smaller woodworking machinery in a smaller basement shop and sold off everything. The new house has a pretty nice space in the basement that my wife and I want to dedicate to hobbies. We're also thinking that if we can be in the same space doing our respective hobbies we'll encourage each other to do more of than and spend less time watching/sleeping in front of the TV.
If anyone has suggestions on getting started, I'm all ears. I'm a little overwhelmed as to how to get started. Thinking jumping in a planning a huge layout isn't the way to go. And I'm not real sure where to go for information. Back when I was interested before there were still a lot of hobby shops with knowledgeable staff. I've found 2 semi-locally (Ypsilanti and Tecumseh) that I checked out but they seem to have a pretty limited selection compared to what I remember at the old downtown Ann Arbor Rider's and the hobby shop that was in Monroe, MI where I spent a lot of time drooling. The book selection at a few book stores and even the library is pretty poor.
Also, any local clubs that aren't based around building and operating a club layout?
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Hey Matt welcome to the forum and have fun looking at all the stuff.
lasm
Hi Matt,
Don't get overwhelmed, I know it is easy to do. The suggestions above are great ones, but if your city has any prototype railroads that is the best inspiration there is. Watch and learn how the trains move, how cars are switched and spotted, unless you know this already, and then duplicate that on a model. Choice of time period can be fun if you like to do research. Contemporary model railroads are gaining in popularity now as models for them are easy to get. If your a detail person walk the tracks and notice how weeds curl around a fence or how a tie is sunk into the dirt. All these can add up to a great model. If you lived in Florida I'd suggest Gulf Coast Model Railroad hobby shop. They are modelers and only deal in trains. Look them up on the web, I know they answer questions via email and will ship anything you need.
Mark
Hi Matt!
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard!
The internet is the new hobby shop for those who don't have one local or don't have one that offers discounts. This forum is full of experts in every aspect of model railroading and trains in general. I will share with you what I was told when I joined the forum; the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Seriously consider DCC its very easy to wire a new layout and the benefits are astounding. I would consider this book to help get you started
http://www.modelrailroadbookstore.c...odel-Railroader-Books-Wiring-Electronics.html you can buy it through the forum bookstore. The book store is a portal to Amazon and the transactions are safely handled by Amazon with the forum getting a small commission. The best part is we don't have to pay any more then we would buying directly through Amazon and all the train books are organized for us to make them easy to find.
For the record I am in no way affiliated with the forum. I am just a very happy forum member.
G'day Matt.....What they said...my learned and erstwhile fellow forum members are well worth listening too..You've already made a very smart move by joining this terrific forum because help and guidance will come from all directions and across all scales..There's also some terrific You Tube videos out there as well as accessible through the forum..A real good video ...made by Kalmback and Model Railroader Magazine is " Building My First Model Railroad"..It's hosted by Michael Gross...(the dad in Family Ties)...and it features building a complete 4x8 ft layout from the ground up called the Madison Central..worth a look for sure...it's on DVD also...The books Louis mentioned sound great too.. As they say "How long is a piece of string "...Go DCC if you can..Analog is great but if you spend a lot on only analog and then decide to switch to DCC it costs...If you go DCC ready locos or Dual Mode locos though you are fine..ENJOY.....Cheers from Australia..... Rod...
Matt, welcome to the forums ... think everything has already been said.
Hello and welcome Matt. Just saw your post. I also am SE Michigan, but up around Holly area. I have a couple of buddies in the Wyandotte area with nice layouts and they would love to show you what they are doing. That's about all I know from down your way.
Good luck. If you are ever going to be up my way, stop by.
Larry
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)