New York Summer Electrical Storm...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


The trains might need a car ferry to keep them above water level. I wouldn't mind a storm like that at all. Saves dragging hoses around trying to keep the lawn green.
 


As least the rains don't bring the threat of Tornadoes out there hahaha, that has been something new for me to adjust to here in KC. Though storm sirens just give me another excuse work on the layout in the basement :)
 
I lived in Darwin before moving to the US and became accustomed to Cyclones every year, so I sort of know what you mean by Tornado's. All I can say is I'm glad we don't have to worry about them :)
 
California's learning to live with less water. In Oklahoma, we celebrate the rain, never curse it. That may be why we have enough. :D
 


California's learning to live with less water. In Oklahoma, we celebrate the rain, never curse it. That may be why we have enough. :D

Reminds me of when I lived in Darwin. 9 months of the year we went without rain of any description, then in the other 3 months we got a years worth. It was almost a ritual for everyone to stand out in the street when the first of the monsoon rains arrived - electrical storm or not :D
 
The rains came Tony. We had an afternoon thunder storm that dropped almost an inch of rain in 45 minutes. No dragging hoses around for a few days.

Thanks - Chet
 
Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Tony....That's a nice little dribble...and thats the same kind of sheet lightning we have here..Doubtless , not much work on the empire while that was happening..How long did it last ?...Forgot to ask..What part of Australia did you live in before moving to the US ?.....Orange in NSW and Stanthorpe in Queensland were on the news this morning 17th July for proper dumps of snow which haven't been seen like that for years...I hope Toot doesn't need snow shoes...Hope it doesn't snow on the Gold Coast...otherwise they'll need a name change to the Cold Coast...All we're getting is freezing southerlies ...Expected top today set for 9C..or about 47-49 F...Tony ..the Ashes is on at the moment...We lost the First Test by 169 runs but...Afte the first day of the Second Test at Lords...Australia is 1 for 337...Chris Rogers on 156 and Steve Smith on 129...How's that for a recovery ?...I HOPE YOUR YARD DRAINS QUICK so you can keep working on the new G Scale layout...Cheers Rod...
 
The rains come Tony. We had an afternoon thunder storm that dropped almost an inch of rain in 45 minutes. No dragging hoses around for a few days.

Thanks - Chet

Glad you got it, now SUFFER! :D

G'day Tony....That's a nice little dribble...and thats the same kind of sheet lightning we have here..Doubtless , not much work on the empire while that was happening..How long did it last ?...Forgot to ask..What part of Australia did you live in before moving to the US ?.....Orange in NSW and Stanthorpe in Queensland were on the news this morning 17th July for proper dumps of snow which haven't been seen like that for years...I hope Toot doesn't need snow shoes...Hope it doesn't snow on the Gold Coast...otherwise they'll need a name change to the Cold Coast...All we're getting is freezing southerlies ...Expected top today set for 9C..or about 47-49 F...Tony ..the Ashes is on at the moment...We lost the First Test by 169 runs but...Afte the first day of the Second Test at Lords...Australia is 1 for 337...Chris Rogers on 156 and Steve Smith on 129...How's that for a recovery ?...I HOPE YOUR YARD DRAINS QUICK so you can keep working on the new G Scale layout...Cheers Rod...

Damn, 50 million questions in one post - impressive! :D

The whole thing lasted about an hour, maybe a smidgen more but not by much. We live in a valley so we cop some fairly impressive electrical storms, although not "normally" at this time of the year. The video didn't actually show the worse of it as it was toward the end. While the rain was pretty heavy, the winds were horrific for the first part. The light show was definitely impressive and am a little "pissed" that I didn't get any of the really good stuff on "film".

I was living in Darwin immediately before I moved to the US, although my job kept me on the move all round the country - Melbourne (my home town), Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and a few other places in between. I should say that the aforementioned was where I was based out of, so I traveled a lot outwards from the cities.

Orange copping snow I can imagine BUT Stanthorpe, that has to be an event in itself. As much as I respect Toot - I hope it snows like hell on him - give him an idea of what we go through and stick a cork in those bloody banana benders for a change :D

You have no idea how much I miss the Cricket ... I don't think this place has ever heard of it and I have never seen advertised on TV (Cable/Satellite) here. Looks like the only way I'll get to see another match is by coming back home. Heck, its been 8 years since I last saw a cricket match and Ponting was the Captain. I doubt I would know the Aussie Team now and probably should look them up.

The way I see it, loosing the first test is just being sporting - can't kick the Poms butts too hard too quick hey ;) 1 for 337 - aint a bad start, reckon Sir Don would be pleased!

Have to say this about my rather unique drainage system - it does work and does work well. The layout is about 8" above ground level if you like and after that storm, the water was probably about 6" deep. It was completely gone within an half hour. Fortunately, I have been able to get out and do some things the past couple of days, but today, well - just had one of those "couldn't be bothered day" :D
 
G'day Tony....That's a serious little storm...The sheet lighting is exactly like what we have here...not as dramatic as fork lightning but millions of volts none the less..
I bet not much happened on the new empire that day...hope the yard has good drainage...This'll cheer you up as an Aussie ex-pat re cricket .we got hammered by 169 runs in the First Ashes Test a week or so ago...What about the Second Test... Australia 8/566 declared...England all out 312 in reply.. Australia didn't enforce the follow on and made 2/ 254 declared and then proceeded to knock England over for 103 in 37 overs inside 4 days..Series level 1-1..we hold the Ashes at the moment..but a 405 run win (third biggest in Ashes history ) will really hurt England..Third of five tests starts next week...Cheers Rod..
 
Rodney,

Jeeze I wish I could watch it so much :( Don't really care by how much we win, just so long as we kick those Poms all the way back to England :)
 
G'day Tony...I must apologise.....My first reply to your thread was not showing so i re wrote it a bit different a day or two later by which time the Second Test was completed..after re reading the first page of the thread I saw that the original reply was there after all.and I missed the start of the thread where you mentioned Darwin's cyclones...hence living in Darwin...So sorry... Re the cricket ...I'll keep you updated.. Here's some stuff from the Second Test. to whet your appetite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCU5jVy2SU .Current Test team that have played in either of the first two Tests are... Michael Clarke (captain) , Brad Haddin , Steve Smith , Chris Rogers , Mitchell Johnson , Mitchell Starc , Josh Hazlewood , Shane Watson , Mitch Marsh , Nathan Lyon , Phil Nevill , Adam Voges and David Warner....I wish our US friends knew more about cricket and what a great game it is....Every bit as good as baseball...I think that the Twenty Twenty format could be huge in America if it got a foothold...I'm a traditionalist Re Test Cricket but both ODI and Twenty Twenty cricket are great too..Did you know Australia won their fifth World Cup in March this year ?.. Cheers Rod....
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top