New to the forum

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Big John

New Member
Hi! My name is John. I'm semi retired. I'm familier with the DC version of model railroading, and have been involved in it off and on for a number of years. I've thought about converting over to DCC from time to time but for one reason or another never took the plunge. So for now, I'll just continue in DC. Anyway, I found this site and would like to be a part of it. Thank you.

~John
______________________________________________________________
There's always a way...
 
Hi John!
Going DCC can be done gradually and is quite easy.
We'll be looking for pictures of yuor layout, we love pictures!
 


Hey, John.

It's good to see another old-timer return to the model railroading. I was gone from the hobby, and because I'd gotten rid of everything and had to start from scratch, I jumped right into DCC. It's a bit bewildering at times, but worth the trouble/expense IMHO.
 
Hi John and Welcome to the forum,

There are two view points about comparing DC to DCC and I for one as well as another MRR friend can't see the need to change as DC with a Quantum controler? [I think he said] will do most everything DCC will but it does get a bit expensive too.

I'm an Old timer in the Hobby and as best I can see, if your not planning of having multiple operators on your layout there is no need for DCC if your planning on operating just one train at a time like the real thing. That's what I'm doing and so why go through all the expense and trouble of converting over?

I use the tried and true Block system and it works fine for me. Also you can pick-up a niffty wireless hand throttle that works by radio frequencies to control the speed and direction of your loco/s, if double headed, and it's really neat to move around unincumbered along with the loco just like your in the cab controling it. It even has built in Momentum which is really neat to increase the speed gradually as well as slowing down gradually too but does have and emergency stop if needed.

The unit is put out by Aristo craft and seems to only be available on Ebay at present and is called their basic Train Engineer and doesn't require anything additional or any change to or addition to the loco to allow you to use it as you use your normal power supply and put the sending unit in the power line between the transformer and track. It's really great to be able to totally forget the transformer control and have the controller in your hand.

Where are you located at? I'm in Calif at almost the exact center of the state.


Talk with you again,

David
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Patrick and John,
I am DC only as well but for my purposes I can't justify the added expense of DCC. I tend to spend my money on quality engines that will run on DC or DCC and most of my engines have sound as well. With my Tech 4 DC controller I can still control the sounds on my Lionel HO challenger and my 2 Lionel HO Veranda's. My newest purchase was an Athearn Genesis SD45-2 in CSX colors with DCC and Sound, that engine has a small remote to activate the sounds. My plan is to build a ceiling shelf with 2 tracks in my man den. I already own 2 Tech 4 controllers that will power the 2 tracks. Someday perhaps I will leap into the world of DCC. Welcome John.
-Art
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top