New to the forum

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hi,

Just joined as I'm getting back into HO. I grew up, in the late 40's and early 50's, about 100 yards from the Milwaukee Road depot in Minocqua, WI so saw the steam to diesel transition first hand.

Now that I've retired, and we have our last house, I plan to develop a suitable layout.

Happy New Year to all
John
 
Welcome to the forums, John! We're a friendly bunch and always try to have fun. there's quite a knowledge base here so we should be able to answer any questions you may have.
 
Hi John, nice to meet you. I'm sure you'll find a lot of inspiration here in addition to all the help everyone offers.

Any particular scale in mind for your railroad?
 


Thanks Carey and Mike,

Carey - Added location to my profile...over here in NE GA...Hi Y'all

Mike - did my advanced army training at Ft Devens up your way

looking forward to learning and sharing...not new to HO but haven't had a decent place to build a layout 'till now

roster includes 4-4-2 as well as 4-6-2 and F7 4-6-4 Hiawathas, DL109 Milw, E9 Milw in UP scheme and several other steam and diesel locos...mixed bag of rolling stock including lot's of wood kits (Ambroid, LaBelle, Ulrich and others)

can model most era's so who knows what kind of unorthodox layout I'll come up with
 
John - Welcome to the forum. We look forward to seeing pictures as your layout progresses.
 
John, I'm about an hour southwest of the old Ft Devens. You may be aware that during all the cutbacks and base closings in the 90's your old alma mater was closed. It is now known as Devens Industrial Park. The Naval Air Station at South Weymouth also got the chop and to drive by it or through it now you wouldn't recognize its former use. Not sure about how Devens now looks as I haven't had a reason to go there.

Nothing wrong with a mix of various era equip. My RR is primarily all 1st and 2nd gen diesel but I have 5 old steamers ranging from an 0-8-0 switcher to a Y6b mallet and the usual wooden freight and passenger equipment to accompany them. I also like factory demo engines of any era including the present, and to mix things up even further I have a small sized traction collection ranging from 4 wheel Birneys to a couple of Pacific Electric Blimps and a Hollywood car. When I'm in the mood I run what I feel like but of course don't have such a wild mix on the layout all at the same time.

Sorry to ramble on. I guess my point was have fun!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Just joined as I'm getting back into HO. I grew up, in the late 40's and early 50's, about 100 yards from the Milwaukee Road depot in Minocqua, WI so saw the steam to diesel transition first hand.

Now that I've retired, and we have our last house, I plan to develop a suitable layout.

Happy New Year to all
John

Welcome John.

A few shots of one of my 1950's trains and a switcher.

The transition from steam to diesel is before my time, but I love the railway images from that era especially steam.

The only steam engine I have seen running in real life is the Royal Hudson in Vancouver.

I love this video clip from Steamtown USA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUl7Sje0P8
I have as a brass model of this loco and just love it when I can see how actually sounds and looks like in real life.

Look forward to your future posts.

Cheers!
 
Hi John,
Glad to have you aboard, as has been said it a great group here with lots of good helpful info and possibly you have some to share too.

I also grew up in the mid forties and 50's and graduated HS in '63 but out here in Calif. I've had trains and layouts since I was very young and most everything I have was always built from a kit, even two MDC/Roundhouse Shays. I visited the origional MDC location in Hawthorne, Calif as my Dad had an aircraft repair business a couple of doors down from them in the early '50's. At that time there was a smaller steam Loco parked on some tracks about 100 yrds away, an o-6-0, I think which they were taking measurements from and pictures of. They had investment castings everywhere. Those were the days alright.

See you around.
 
Welcome Aboard John,

I'm new here too, but have already found the site to be well worth any time spent reading the posts. Folks are friendly and very helpful. I'm getting back into N-scale after being out of it for over 30 years.

I grew up in WI, visited Minocqua many times (grandparents lived in Boulder Junction) and always enjoyed seeing the trains. My sister has a lake house on Witches Lake northeast of Arbor Vitae, so we visit the area every time we go back there.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top