New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thanks again Jim. I like that thing, even If I cant use it for my boy. I might grab one or two for other things. :)
 
Hey guys, I thought sence I finally got this controller done for my son, id show you guys what I was talking about. Its not 100% done. I Still have a few little things to work out. But it runs like I wanted. "Spining slowly both left and right."

Seeing as its not 100% done. I thought Id ask if any one had any suggestion'a as to what I could use for an attachment from the little metal rod that you see sticking out from the front, to the dial on the train sets throttle. I was thinking a suction cup of sorts. But maybe some one has a better idea?

DSC02099.png

DSC02100.png

DSC02101.png

DSC02103.png

Yes CSX color theme.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic, nice work I'm sure it'll be appreciated. Assuming the rod will connect to a rotary throttle I'd suggest a universal coupling, if it's a worm geared type of drive I'd still use a universal coupling, in any case keeping the drive line straight as possible.

Cheers
Willis
 


I was thinking about putting some sorta universal coupling / ball joint in place. But wasnt able to find one small enough around me. So for the time being the entire motor houseing and mount rod, ( both parts with srtipes ). Acts as an abjustable swing arm in a sence.

Oh, Yeah the table hes sitting at I made too. :) Just thought id say.
 
Looks beautiful! The whole setup, with the desk and buttons and lever, reminds me a lot of the control consoles used on the light rail here in San Francisco. It certainly does make things feel more like operating a train than operating an oscilloscope.
 
Looks like a very ingenious solution to your problem. I'm wondering if you couldn't use some plastic tubing, like that sold for aquariums, as a universal joint? Seems like having some kind of mechanical connection to the power pack would be more reliable and you'd have a little more wiggle room (literally) in terms of the table location. Nice table too, :)
 
Looks like a very ingenious solution to your problem. I'm wondering if you couldn't use some plastic tubing, like that sold for aquariums, as a universal joint? Seems like having some kind of mechanical connection to the power pack would be more reliable and you'd have a little more wiggle room (literally) in terms of the table location. Nice table too, :)

That tubbing is a really good idea. I have some around too. Which makes it even better. :)

Very good idea indeed.
 
Hi everyone.

I finaly got around to putting the table together for my son. Had a freind put the video up on youtube for me. Thought Id show anyone interested were I have gotten to after week one of putting this layout together, and show just how the throttle control works. I got a few tiny bugs to work out but its 100% working.

I also want to thank everyone that offered opinions and help.
Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vxCdc4okI
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top