Hello everybody,
No real experience in model railroads except as a kid.
I have a large area that I can use up to 10' by 20' for a lay out. If I really wanted to I could make it a lot larger than that.
My plan is to start small (4x8) and add as I get more engines, cars and track. A large figure 8 in an L shape in the middle, with a larger loop going around the outside. A couple of sidings with a couple of connections between the outer loop and the figure 8. A town at both ends. Later I want to add a reverse loop.
I don't really have a theme. I am leaning to after WW2 so I can have both steam and diesel
Scale HO
Track mainly flex track
power- dcc NCS for ease of use/setup.
Start with a mid level to lower mid level engines.
I plan to lay out on plywood with maybe one layer of foam.
My questions:
What would be a mid level (quality) engine?
Are there engine motors that I should look for?
What would be a good dcc unit?
Is flex track ok? Are there different brands of flex track?
Any things to watch for in buying or setting up a dcc unit?
I want to get an engine, track and a dcc unit and build up from that.
What do you think?
No real experience in model railroads except as a kid.
I have a large area that I can use up to 10' by 20' for a lay out. If I really wanted to I could make it a lot larger than that.
My plan is to start small (4x8) and add as I get more engines, cars and track. A large figure 8 in an L shape in the middle, with a larger loop going around the outside. A couple of sidings with a couple of connections between the outer loop and the figure 8. A town at both ends. Later I want to add a reverse loop.
I don't really have a theme. I am leaning to after WW2 so I can have both steam and diesel
Scale HO
Track mainly flex track
power- dcc NCS for ease of use/setup.
Start with a mid level to lower mid level engines.
I plan to lay out on plywood with maybe one layer of foam.
My questions:
What would be a mid level (quality) engine?
Are there engine motors that I should look for?
What would be a good dcc unit?
Is flex track ok? Are there different brands of flex track?
Any things to watch for in buying or setting up a dcc unit?
I want to get an engine, track and a dcc unit and build up from that.
What do you think?
