Hi all,
Im new to this forum, here is a little history about myself. Im in my 30's, with a wife and 2 great kids. I lost my job 2 years ago and decided to go back to school. I am majoring in CAD-AAS. I will be done in May
. I live in Northeastern PA.
This past weekend we went to the mall and was introduced to a local train club called Loose Ties. They have an area in the mall where they have layouts and people can walk through and enjoy them. My son loved it and my wife asked me if we could make something for him to enjoy at home. I have some old trains sitting here, old being over 20 years old. Some from my grandfather and some from my dad.
Being a CAD major, the first thing I did was see what kind of layout I could make that will handle the most trains and still give me some scenery.
So I came up with this simple design, which will give me 3 trains running at the same time and the center will let me play with switches and put some houses and industry.
Now I needed a platform. I looked at different platforms and decided to design my own. I have been doing woodworking for as long as I can remember and have a lot of tools. Now I have CAD to help design.
I came up with this design.
So off to Lowes I go for lumber. $100 later I had enough lumber to build it along with the fasteners.
And 3 hours later I had this very sturdy platform ready for layouts.
I made it so the top will separate from the legs for when I decide to move it out of the dining room and into the basement. But that will be a couple years way, I want to change my heating system first, but that's another story.
That was the easy part, making the scenery and laying out the track will be challenging. I have never done anything like that before, but I'm sure I can do it, especially with the help of the members of this group.
Im new to this forum, here is a little history about myself. Im in my 30's, with a wife and 2 great kids. I lost my job 2 years ago and decided to go back to school. I am majoring in CAD-AAS. I will be done in May
This past weekend we went to the mall and was introduced to a local train club called Loose Ties. They have an area in the mall where they have layouts and people can walk through and enjoy them. My son loved it and my wife asked me if we could make something for him to enjoy at home. I have some old trains sitting here, old being over 20 years old. Some from my grandfather and some from my dad.
Being a CAD major, the first thing I did was see what kind of layout I could make that will handle the most trains and still give me some scenery.
So I came up with this simple design, which will give me 3 trains running at the same time and the center will let me play with switches and put some houses and industry.
Now I needed a platform. I looked at different platforms and decided to design my own. I have been doing woodworking for as long as I can remember and have a lot of tools. Now I have CAD to help design.
I came up with this design.
So off to Lowes I go for lumber. $100 later I had enough lumber to build it along with the fasteners.
And 3 hours later I had this very sturdy platform ready for layouts.
I made it so the top will separate from the legs for when I decide to move it out of the dining room and into the basement. But that will be a couple years way, I want to change my heating system first, but that's another story.
That was the easy part, making the scenery and laying out the track will be challenging. I have never done anything like that before, but I'm sure I can do it, especially with the help of the members of this group.
