New N scale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


John,
Don't let it overwhelm you. It's not fun if you do, and whats the point of a hobby thats no fun, right?

Just take it one step at a time.

Do you like steam or diesel?

Do you like big time RRing, or small potatoes kind of stuff? (If you have the room, maybe you can combine them?)

Those two questions will either answer a lot of others, or at least help point the way.

Also, you might give this a read: Spacemouse's Beginners Guide
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff that was a great link and I am amazed at how much I have to learn. thanks for the link.
I've learned a lot from Spookshow's site. It's just great for giving you a sense of what is involved in constructing a complete layout, large or small.

- Jeff
 
John,
Don't let it overwhelm you. It's not fun if you do, and whats the point of a hobby thats no fun, right?

Just take it one step at a time.

Do you like steam or diesel?

Do you like big time RRing, or small potatoes kind of stuff? (If you have the room, maybe you can combine them?)

Those two questions will either answer a lot of others, or at least help point the way.

Also, you might give this a read: Spacemouse's Beginners Guide

Well here is my plan so far. I will be installing a wall mounted layout around my office which measures 9 by 10. I'm not sure about scenery since the height could block much of the view. Thats ok though because after I get my hands on expierence with the track and laying out I will build a large platform in a bigger area which will give me time to planout a scene. I can't wait to hear that whistle blow and that horn sound off. I like both steem and diesel so in reading through most information online and in magazines not to mention what everyone has in this form that is shared I am sure I will have some favorite very soon.Thanks for you help as I will need it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Well thanks to Philip and Spacemouses Biginners Guide I got my pencil out and put down on paper what I wanted my layout to look like. Since then I have started to install the shelving that the track will be laid on. Now I need some help with Cork RB and tack installation. I started a thread on this just so I wouldn't clogg this thread up too much on my layout.Thanks to all of you who got me started and for all of your help.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144105#post144105
 
I dearly love N scale, the locos run fantastic, and I have some sound equiped Kato 2-8-2's and the sound is awsome. I run lifelike, Atlas, Kato, and Athern, and love em all. You can get all technical about scale, but N scale allows a lot more modeling in the same space as HO, so I do N scale. It boils down to the amount of room you have to use and what you wish to do in that space. I did forget that I have some Bachman 2-8-0's that are super performers also. Scale isn't all that important, all the guys are great in any scale. Just have a ball doin it.
 
By all means, an N scale has a ton of great advantages, longer trains, great running loco's, and most are either dcc ready or can be adapted if you like. I personally will stick with my old tried and true DC way of life, but for a fellow just starting out, I'd definately go with the dcc system.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top