New layout after a 25 year vacation

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hi fwcrr and Jamie: I also use Atlas CL switches, and esp. after painting and ballasting, the rivet, on older Atlas, and also on newer ones without the rivet, I found that the rivets or plates, sometimes lost conductivity. My remedy was to add feeders to the point rails. The points now always have power. Here's a photo. DJ.

P1010290.jpg
 
do the feeders go to both rails? And what method works the best for soldering without melting plastic ties?
thanks,
Norm
 


Hi: Both point rails need power. This is the way I do it. I drill a small hole,(.035), in the bottom part of the rail. Then, a 1/8" hole next to the rail for the wire. Then I put a small hook in the end of the wire and insert it into the small hole and solder it. I did this to all my switches, after they were laid, painted, and ballasted. DJ.
 
From & to the upper yard on the FWC RR

Just a little background. I had originally planned on having a yard cover part of the lower level of the layout, but decided that it was a calamity waiting to happen. I re-thunk the idea and decided on a stand-alone yard measuring 24X48" that would be 7" above the lower level, but would use about 30 feet of running to achieve this, which I calculated to be a bit less than a 3% grade. The yard has yet to be built. I finally laid some track 2 days ago, and successfully ran a 4-8-4 steamer up it pulling 12 cars, which is more than enough for me (the video shows 8, but I ran more later). I have a video posted where you can see the action. I even stuck in some steam engine sound FX to liven it up. The video isn't the greatest, as it was taken with my point & shoot camera, but it conveys what I wanted it to. I still have to take Grampy's Trains advice on wiring the turnouts, as the locomotives tend to sputter thru them, and I have a couple of spots where the track has to be improved, but, all in all, I'm pleased with my efforts over the past 2 months. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkr7PML_Cw4
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top