New in Fayetteville, NC

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


AJKFFD

New Member
I am new to the model railroading scene. My father-in-law has an extensive layout in a spare bedroom of his house and has hooked me into the addiction of it. Right now I am in the beginning stages of my layout with the planned size being 280"x96" with a minimum of a 22" radius on turns. I will be modeling my design after the Aberdeen and Rockfish Railroad Company in the Fayetteville, NC area. I will also have lines feeding it using CSX and NS lines as these are what runs through downtown Fayetteville. This area is a Railfanning paradise as we get multiple trains throughout the day.

A little bit about me, I am a career firefighter on the HazMat team here in Fayetteville. I am 24 years old and have been a firefighter since I turned 18. I have always been fascinated with trains and locomotives in general. I am married with no kids. I also play hockey and collect firearms. I will eventually learn to get into the custom painting and detailing once I begin to have more free time.
 
Welcome aboard. That's a pretty big layout to start off with. I got into the hobby about the same age as you. But I took a 20 year hiatus. Having your father-in-law into the hobby as well will be a good thing. Good luck, and see you around the forums!
 
Thank you Sir, I know its going to be huge but I have the room so I'm going to try and maximize it as much as possible. I'm trying to figure out if I want to do a holding area like I've seen on multiple layouts or just a huge railyard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
 


I an building a fairly large layout as well for my first one.

I have seen those hidden areas in track plans. I have always wondered how you access those areas in case of derailments and such? And how do you move cars around in there when you can't see what you are doing?
 
I guess the access is just below the main area subfloor and you access it from the side. It seems easy to get to and you can either cover it or leave it open. Its basically a shelf below the main level. As long as you maintain a slow and even speed shouldn't have any problems with derailments. I know most are in area with easy access.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top