railfan727
New Member
When I was a kid, my dad and I had an N scale layout based on the Conrail Indianapolis Division mainline through our hometown of Anderson, IN (MP 245 to MP 250 from Cleveland, now QI-245 to QI-250 under CSX). Once I started college, my parents sold their house and moved to an apartment in Indianapolis as the local economy in Anderson was tanking... and we sold off all of our models since we would no longer have any place to display or run them, and all the new stuff was becoming overwhelmingly expensive in the quantities that we desired anyway. But I still love trains (and planes too... my username is a nod to the Boeing 727, my favorite). And I have been collecting 1:400-scale diecast airliners since my high school days and I'm still going strong. I would get back into model railroading in a heartbeat if I could, but right now I simply don't have the space or the resources to make that possible.
This got me thinking... what if there were a line of diecast, non-operating railroad models that were designed specifically for static display by those who love trains and would like to have some models of their favorite locomotives and rolling stock but don't have the time, space, money, craftsman skills, or desire to build a layout of their own or be part of a club. And to me, there's really no incentive to collect models intended for operation only to put them on static display, as the features (motor, DCC and lighting circuitry, working couplers, lights, etc.) that contribute so heavily to the cost would be wasted. Sort of like buying a Lamborghini as a "garage ornament" with no intent to actually go out and drive it.
Since they wouldn't be intended for operation, there wouldn't necessarily be a reason to conform to the established scales, and smaller scales (like the common aircraft scale 1:250, or maybe 1:320 "half N") could come into play without having to sacrifice dimensional accuracy to accommodate moving parts; for example the Marklin Z-scale F-units from years ago with the trucks elongated to accommodate the gears. Trucks and wheelsets could even be made as a single piece solely for visual effect, and rigidly attached to the body. Wheel flanges could be represented in a scale size (or close to it) without having to worry about whether they'll stay on the track or not. And in a scale small enough, separate grab irons, radio antennas, and the like wouldn't be needed... these could just be printed in a contrasting color (maybe a shade or two darker or lighter than the body color if they aren't painted a different color on the prototype). So the cost could probably be reduced well below that of operating equipment, which could encourage people to collect larger quantities. They could be done in small runs, as diecast aircraft or even conventional model railroad equipment are done today, with multiple road numbers done either at once or in sequence to increase variety for collectors (who wouldn't want just one BNSF C44-9W with all the different number series those are in, right?).
What I'm envisioning here is actually a new hobby, one that would both complement model railroading and offer an alternative to those "wanna-be" modelers like me who would love to do it but can't at the moment, rather than competing with it. Its relationship to model railroading would be like that between diecast aircraft collecting and R/C flying. Theoretically, one could have a whole cabinet of "ultra-small-scale" locomotives and cars on display in the kitchen/dining area and a full-out HO empire down in the basement.
It seems to me that there's a huge opportunity here that no one's taking advantage of. I actually proposed this to a well-known maker of diecast aircraft, but they turned it down flat as they have no interest in non-aviation subjects. I still have a feeling that if I get this idea in front of the right people, someone will take off and run with it. I know this might seem like sort of a weird way to make my first post on here, but I wanted to run my idea by some model railroaders and get your thoughts...
Bruce Bridges
Indianapolis, IN
This got me thinking... what if there were a line of diecast, non-operating railroad models that were designed specifically for static display by those who love trains and would like to have some models of their favorite locomotives and rolling stock but don't have the time, space, money, craftsman skills, or desire to build a layout of their own or be part of a club. And to me, there's really no incentive to collect models intended for operation only to put them on static display, as the features (motor, DCC and lighting circuitry, working couplers, lights, etc.) that contribute so heavily to the cost would be wasted. Sort of like buying a Lamborghini as a "garage ornament" with no intent to actually go out and drive it.
Since they wouldn't be intended for operation, there wouldn't necessarily be a reason to conform to the established scales, and smaller scales (like the common aircraft scale 1:250, or maybe 1:320 "half N") could come into play without having to sacrifice dimensional accuracy to accommodate moving parts; for example the Marklin Z-scale F-units from years ago with the trucks elongated to accommodate the gears. Trucks and wheelsets could even be made as a single piece solely for visual effect, and rigidly attached to the body. Wheel flanges could be represented in a scale size (or close to it) without having to worry about whether they'll stay on the track or not. And in a scale small enough, separate grab irons, radio antennas, and the like wouldn't be needed... these could just be printed in a contrasting color (maybe a shade or two darker or lighter than the body color if they aren't painted a different color on the prototype). So the cost could probably be reduced well below that of operating equipment, which could encourage people to collect larger quantities. They could be done in small runs, as diecast aircraft or even conventional model railroad equipment are done today, with multiple road numbers done either at once or in sequence to increase variety for collectors (who wouldn't want just one BNSF C44-9W with all the different number series those are in, right?).
What I'm envisioning here is actually a new hobby, one that would both complement model railroading and offer an alternative to those "wanna-be" modelers like me who would love to do it but can't at the moment, rather than competing with it. Its relationship to model railroading would be like that between diecast aircraft collecting and R/C flying. Theoretically, one could have a whole cabinet of "ultra-small-scale" locomotives and cars on display in the kitchen/dining area and a full-out HO empire down in the basement.
It seems to me that there's a huge opportunity here that no one's taking advantage of. I actually proposed this to a well-known maker of diecast aircraft, but they turned it down flat as they have no interest in non-aviation subjects. I still have a feeling that if I get this idea in front of the right people, someone will take off and run with it. I know this might seem like sort of a weird way to make my first post on here, but I wanted to run my idea by some model railroaders and get your thoughts...
Bruce Bridges
Indianapolis, IN
