New guy from VA

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


racerdonnie13

New Member
Hi everyone. Im new here and also new to model railroading. I went to a place during the holidays that had a very large train layout set up and it interested me alot. We stood in there for hours just looking at it. I remember having a HO train set as a kid, but have no idea where its at now. So i posted a wanted ad on my local craigslist for one, and a guy responds to me with this collection thats been sitting in his closet for years. I dont have time tonight, but ill try and post some pictures tomorrow. I did dig through the boxes some and i have a shoebox or more full of track, 5 or 6 transformers, 3-4 engines, 20 or more cars, bridges, all kinds of buildings and scenery. Hopefully i got a good deal.
Like i said im all new to this and dont really even know where to start. I know nothing about these things. I guess ill have to dig around here and do some reading. Im wanting to build a small layout for the holidays next year, so i guess ive got some learing to do.
 
Welcome from another member in Virginia. if you are in northern Virginia, you should seriously consider attending the Great Model Train Show in Timonium,Maryland (Baltimore area), next weekend.
http://www.gsmts.com/
 
Welcome to the best model railroading site on the web. Plenty of reading and info to be found here and if you don't find what you're looking for just ask. You might want to check out Model Railroad Hobbyist at http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/. This is a FREE monthly magazine published on the web. Lots of good articles, tips and other stuff to get you started in this great hobby. Post some pictures of your score and don't be a stranger!
 


In addition to the Timonium show on 2/2, there's a smaller show in Sharpsburg, MD on 2/9. I don't know if there's a website for it but it's at the MD Ag Center on Rt 65. (IMO) Nothing fantastic but it was fun to look around.

I plan to attend both shows.
 
Thanks guys. ill pull everything out tonight and post some pics. im from the richmond, va area so i dont know if ill be able to make those shows but it sounds like fun. maybe next time. im sure ill have a bunch of questions when i start working with this stuff but untill then im going to do as much reading here as i can. if anyone knows of some good newbie threads that i need to be reading let me know or post a link to them.
 
Hey racer. I'm just up the road (Rt. 301) from you in King George, VA. If ya get a chance to wander up this way, you can check out my empire, the D&J Railroad.
I moved into this new house in May of 2011 and started building this layout the following Oct. Actual benchwork started just a year ago this month. I have a bit more wiring and industrial sidings to do before I start the ballast and scenery work. Check out this link to my work.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509
 
D&J, i would love to come check it out sometime. Maybe i can get some ideas for something i might work toward in the future. Its great to have someone that lives close to me on here. Other non related forums that im on, im the only one in va. i have met so many great people and learned alot from forums like these.
 
D&J, i would love to come check it out sometime. Maybe i can get some ideas for something i might work toward in the future. Its great to have someone that lives close to me on here. Other non related forums that im on, im the only one in va. i have met so many great people and learned alot from forums like these.

Let me know when you can come up here. I'm trying to re-establish an op/work session on Thursday nights. Also, during the winter months, I'm usually at home on the weekends working on the layout.
 
Ok here is the stuff i picked up from craigslist...
045_zps40043420.jpg

042_zps86deb221.jpg

047_zps7d4d1433.jpg

046_zps4d25c90d.jpg

048_zps2af6a0e8.jpg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top