New from Ohio

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Autistic Savant

New Member
Hello fellow members---I am new today to this forum. I am currently constructing an HO scale model train layout. Although many of my buildings are finished, the layout itself is in the initial stages. It is a lakeside resort. Here are some details about it:

The layout measures 26 feet by 26 feet---which scales out (HO) to 111 acres.

I have approximately 300 buildings that I have been collecting over the past several years. My prize buildings are both from Howard Zane---two houses.

There is a Main Street which measures 16 feet long which will have a trolley line. The models are mainly Walthers and DPM for this section of the resort.

There is an amusement park which measures 16 feet by 12 feet (in the center of the layout). I am scratchbuilding several of the rides from actual historic plans. One of the roller coasters is nearing completion and is from actual blueprints dating from 1928. I am also using IHC amusment rides and a Faller Wilde Maus---those are built.

There is a mountain which will have a sky lift to the top on one side, and an incline railray on the other side. At the top is large Vollmer station. A large cavern goes through the mountain. A railroad tunnel also goes through the mountain. (The mountain has not been started yet).

There is a circus consisting of of 9 circus tents from Gem City Amusements. (I have not put the tents together yet).

There is a DooWop motel district consisting of DooWop style motels. I have already built these (though they are not landscaped yet). Three of the motels are built from the Bachmann motel kits. Each motel consists of multiple kits so they have around two dozen rooms a piece. The largest motel occupies about three feet by three feet of space---a typical U-shaped motor inn surrounding a swimming pool.

There will also be a Victorian village, a Western town with an N-scale steam train (although HO scale layout, the N-scale train is the right scale for a Huntington model amusement park train). The locomotive pulls several flat bed cars with HO scale park benches on it. They will be covered with canopies like at an amusement park.

The HO scale trains that operate throughout this tourist resort include the Bachmann Dewitt Clinton, Lafayette, and John Bull. There are also two Jupiters, and a diesel that pulls a Royal American Shows passenger train. And there are the trolleys.

There are other themed areas to this resort. But the entire resort is like a giant theme park with the trains offering transportation to the other areas.

Anyway, that is a little bit about my project which will occupy a lot of work. I already have most of the boards up to hold this. Now I will begin placing the structures where they belong and laying the track.

Thank you for reading, and I hope to learn a lot on this forum.
 
Wow! That sounds like a really cool layout. Amusement parks and everything, geeeez.

Show us some pics, and layout plans.

Oh and welcome!;)
 


thank you

Thank you for welcoming me. I will try to get some pics---it will mostly be of the models without landscaping. And I can get a layout plan. I am located in Scioto County, Ohio.

These layout boards are all located in my basement. Around 25%-35% of the buildings are completed. I will photograph some of those.

I am anxious to share my plans and accept input from you.
 
Welcome! Your layout sounds very ambitious, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. You have many of the elements I invision on my next layout. (Current layout nearing completion, next one about 10 years away, after retirement and a move)
 
welcome.

...I will try to get some pics...
i'm afraid it is not good enough. don't try - just get them.
digi cameras of acceptable quality are dirt cheap today (less then sound engine) and i bet you even have one in your cellphone. even if only for the purpose of having reference for yourself, log your construction.
 
Hello and welcome aboard. I'm a native Clevelander but left there long ago. It sounds like your entire layout is actually a large amusement park - is this correct? If so, this really sounds like a neat idea. I know we'd all love to see pictures, if only to understand the concept.
 


Thanks for your interest. I have an older Sony digital camera I will take pics with.

Yes, it is a large amusement park.

I will get some photos. It's been kind of busy here lately---wife getting ready to have gall bladder surgery, and we just got back from a small vacation a few days ago.

My goal today is to photograph the park entrance (a large Faller building that I bought in a secondhand train shop in Huntington, WV a few years ago---I have never seen another building like it. And I will get a pic of the roller coaster built from original 1928 blueprints. And also a DPM model that I have done an interior on. That is today's goal. And I will post more on following days including getting a general layout plan.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top