New from Minneapolis

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Dudepants

Member
Hi all,

Just joined the forum! Thought it'd be a good resource to find info on getting into trains. I was just at Thanksgiving at my in-laws house and my father in-law had a HO set up (real simple couple of loops) and I was hooked instantly. Reminds me of my dads old O set that he and I would work on in the basement. Well, I'm jumping on board and looking to get going. I'm thinking on going with HO, does anyone have a good idea on where I should start? I'm totally brand new to it really, at 36 years old. Ha!

Cheers!
 
Dude, Welcome to the best forum out on the net!

First thing that I would do is get some books and magazines and read, read, read! There are some very knowledgeable folks here, and we can answer most of your questions.

Remember that the only dumb question is the one never asked!
 
Awesome, thanks CJ! Is there a particular book/mag you would recommend? Looks like there's a TON of great info on this forum too.
 


Yes, any Model RR mag. My personal favorite is RMC, Railroad Model Craftsman, although the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette is real good as well. Most seem to start with Model Railroader, as it's the 800lb gorilla in the room, when it comes to modeling mags, dealing with model railroading. Both Publishers of the mags, Cartsens for RMC, and Kalmbach for MR has many, many, books available as well.

Also using the advanced search feature of this forum is good as well. Using it, you can type in a subject and a date range, and see what's been discussed in the past on the subject. I believe that you can start from 1 month out to a year and IIRC, (I haven't searched for anything lately), all the way back to the beginning of the forum.
 
Hey Dude - greetings from about a 7 hour drive north of you. I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 35 years. Like Carey said - do lots of research. How much room do you have for a layout? What era do you want to model? DC or DCC? How much do you want to spend? Is it just you running trains or are you going to have multiple operators? Those are just a few of the questions you need to ask yourself before you even start. In the end though I think the biggest thing to remember is that it is your layout - do what you want and don't worry about what others think.
 
Thanks a bunch guys, really excited about it. Looks like I have a 4x8' space with room to expand another 4x8'.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top