New engine advice

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Neopuron

NooB
OK as my second post :-)

I took a inventory of all my old engines. Fired them all to up and oddly enough they are all still running. Some better then others. :(

Conrail 7752 GP-38 Unknown maker Con-Cor maybe?
Conrail7752-1.jpg


Pennsylvania 8791 (Engine may have never existed) Unknown maker; first engine I bought))
Pennsylvania8791-1.jpg


Santa Fe 6067 GP-40 Bachmann
SantaFe6067-1.jpg


Santa Fe 1102 C44-9W Tyco
SantaFe1102-1.jpg


Virginian 4301 C430 Tyco
Virgina4301-1.jpg


Unknown Model (Maybe a GP-something; no markings, details & unpainted) maybe someone started a project and never finished it?)
UnknownGP--1.jpg


Anyway with all that said looks like I got some toys vs some of the higher quality of engines I have been reading about here on the forums. As I get back into the hobby I believe I need to pick up a engine or two of a little higher quality.

I really like the style of the C44-9W Santa Fe that I have. Also I really like the GP-38 Conrail engine that I have. Maybe its just that color of blue and the front nose of that model that has me hooked.

With that being said I would like to get some input if anyone is willing to share. Ive been looking at the Kato SD-80 engines. The Conrail models seem to really stand out to me. So I am thinking of modeling one of these lines. Something like a coal hauling mainline, with the smaller switch engines moving the hoppers from the mine.

I will be looking to haul more then a average amount of freight cars. So I am going to want the extra horsepower. Do the various models of engine carry over from real life to the table in terms of pulling power? Maybe I am over thinking or engineering this?

Thanks in advance...

Derek
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Derek, there is some relationship between a bigger engine in HO hauling more cars than a smaller engine but it's not 1:1. Kato's in general are good haulers. OTOH, I have a Mantua Metal Trains F unit that will pull every car I own. Weight, motor size, and gearing all come into play. If you wan't to haul a lot of cars, do what the real railroads, do, just add more engines until the train moves. It will look more realistic and put less wear and tear on an individual engine.
 
I am will using DC, haven't made the jump into DCC.

From what I have read its not such a good idea to run duel engines with DC or, if I do go with two engines it would be best to stay with two of the exact same models. I have a Tech4 220 MRC power pack so I would have to wonder if that will be enough juice to power two engines on the same line.

Can you hook up more then one power pack to the same line, or is that a accident just waiting to happen?

Thanks for the input so far...

Derek
 


If I don't know the type of engine I have I Google the number & it usually tells me what type the engine is. Like santa Fe 1102. If it's not the same picture as the engine you have that means it was made up by the manufacturer. But, most of the time your engine will match up to the Prototype when you look it up. Anyway, that's the way I do it.
Some of the guys here on the forum can tell you what you have just by looking at it. Not me, have never been able to do that. When I buy an engine, new & in the box the first thing I do is mark it on the bottom w/a small brush & some white paint, like SD40-2, then all I have to do is look at the bottom when someone ask's. When I can find it I use White-Out w/the little brush inside. You can usually find it at a Dollar Tree or WM.
 
Your Conrail engine is a little out of focus so I can't tell what that is but the Pennsy engine is an old Athearn S-12. The unpainted looks like either a GP-35 or GP-38 also made by Athearn.

Adding another power pack to the same line without isolating the track between the two is a bad idea. Best case senario nothing will happen, worst case one will feedback into the other and damage will occur to the power packs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your engines are:

Conrail is an Atlas GP38

pennsy is an Athearn S12 (a Baldwin)

Santa Fe is NOT a Dash-9, but an Alco C630, or C636, Or something on that order

Undec loco is another Atlas GP38.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Glen
 
Correction

The Conrail engine may be from Con-Cor. Atlas had the "split" in the fuel tank on their older units like your Undecorated engine. I think Atlas corrected that in later productions. Not only that, I don't think Atlas would have used that bright of a blue on a Conrail unit.

So, I'm guessing that your Conrail is a Con-Cor, and I'm 100% sure your undec GP38 is an Atlas.
 
If I don't know the type of engine I have I Google the number & it usually tells me what type the engine is.

That is how I got as far as I did with the info I had.

History on the Conrail engine at least is it was sold to the ARR.

I seen somewhere that the S-12 was never a real engine in the Penns fleet.

I didn't expect I had any real treasures out of the bunch I have, since I am willing to bet most of them came out of some kind of complete Christmas type set. I was the "kid that played with trains" so most of that stuff defaulted to me.

I have alot of rolling freight car. Mostly the old Tyco stuff, with a few odd balls. So yeah I have alot of work to do, in terms of bringing them all up to todays standards.

Thanks for all the input so far...

Derek
 


For running, the Conrail, Undec, and Pennsy engines are the best ones to concentrate on. The others are pretty shaky, as far as running and reliability.
 
Santa Fe 1102 C44-9W Tyco
SantaFe1102-1.jpg


Derek

heres an example of a santa fe dash 9 for comparison. the C44-9W is nicknamed the dash 9 simply because of the dash then the 9 in the name of the locomotive. its important to know that the locomotive in the picture as been patched out due to some kind of repair

DASH9PATCH-790A.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You will have no problems with running two DC engines together provided they run close to the same speed. Put the engines on the track about 1 foot apart and see if one runs away or not. If one is just a bit faster than use that one as the lead or front engine.

The Kato SD80 is a very nice engine and can power a large train. My Kato engines also run nice together with my Atlas 8-40c and 8-40cw. DC operation.

Bob
 
That Santa Fe engine is a Tyco Alco 630. It's a foobie, meaning the Santa Fe never had any. In addition, only the N&W had the high short hood versions. The trucks are completely wrong and it's powered by two direct drive trucks with no gear train. They were probably among the worst Tyco engines made and would be my first candidate for the scrap heap.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top