New around the walls layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


For you lift out problems go to youtube.com and check out al mayo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYCDz2a7XI this method could be copied or modified to your liking.
al mayo is awesome with alot of his "how to videos" if you havent seen this video or anyother, i strongly suggest you watch these videos.
His weathering techniques are on another planet
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on settling on a trackplan. It looks simple, realistic, and fun. I look forward to watching and reading about your progress.
 


Congrats on settling on a trackplan. It looks simple, realistic, and fun. I look forward to watching and reading about your progress.

Thanks again for all your efforts! You and many others really helped me out a lot. I actually like the plan that you came up with the best. But forcing myself to be realistic about my time/money/ambition limitations drove me to keep it simple for now. Being of sectional/modular design will make it easier if I do decide to change things around.
 
Around the wall layout.

If you haven't started yet, I have an excellent way to support the layout without any legs. I used open grid made from 1x4's and after screwing it the back of the framework to the wall, I used half inch rigid electrical conduit for supporting the front of the layout. I flattened both ends of the conduit and screwed one end into a wall stud, and the other to the to the back of the front of the gridwork. It is extremely strong. I had a friend over who weighed over 200 pounds and he looked at it like I was crazy. I had him put his full weight on it and it didn't budge. If you are interested, I can send you some photos. Quick, easy and strong !
 
Around the wall track plans

If you haven't started yet, I have an excellent way to support the layout without any legs. I used open grid made from 1x4's and after screwing it the back of the framework to the wall, I used half inch rigid electrical conduit for supporting the front of the layout. I flattened both ends of the conduit and screwed one end into a wall stud, and the other to the to the back of the front of the gridwork. It is extremely strong. I had a friend over who weighed over 200 pounds and he looked at it like I was crazy. I had him put his full weight on it and it didn't budge. If you are interested, I can send you some photos. Quick, easy and strong !

If the pics are still available I would like to view them.

Thank you
Dan
 
If the pics are still available I would like to view them.

Thank you
Dan

Here is a picture that I hope helps. It is half inch rigid electrical conduit. After cutting a piece that is about 4 inches longer than you need, flatten out each end for about 2 inches, and bend then to the angle needed. Drill a couple of holes for screws in each flattened end. The bottom piece screwed into a wall stud, and the other to the inside face of the 1x4 open grid work. I usually space them at about 4 feet. I have put my entire weight of nearly 200 pounds on the outside edge and it doesn't budge.

IMAG0160_BURST002[1].jpg Hope this helps. Cheap and effective.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top